Some thoughts on Gameplay

Ron

A recurrent thought I have whenever I am playing, and have Vertical Rolls in my hand, is why can't I do this? For example, when attacking I can break off and climb/dive away as many levels as I have VRs, yet I can't break away/dive to gather more energy and then climb back in to continue the attack because the 'Target' selection ended? In the same token, how come a player has to have a Target before using a VR? It would open up more play possibilities against human opponents - say a player started High and his opponent started Low, he could dive to Medium and then use a VR to dive further to Low to engage. With the AI it doesn't matter as they will always come at you, yet with a human there is that 'Mexican stand-off' situation because neither(with good reason) wants to get hit first! Or how come after using a VR to break off one attack a player couldn't engage another opponent if he so chooses/is able?

When attacking a Leader your own Leader is limited to a max burst obtained from the advantaged position. Against the Wingman there is no limitation apart from how many Maneuver/Half Loop cards you happen to have. This, coupled with the usally low number of cards for the Wingman, makes them even more vulnerable than they are. I can understand this design aspect for Bombers but have a hard time seeing it for the Wingman. Regarding Wingman, has there been any decision or direction on their vulnerability as has been discussed previously?

Ron

I tend to agree with the VR point you made. I do see a lot of people unwilling to enter the area 1 spot away cause they dont want to be attacked first. I think either that maybe the VR card would make people a bit more willing to engage.

I also think first turn the player shouldnt be able to engage the enemy wingman. That way these fights will be a bit more balanced and more interesting.

I have also noticed that even at higher levels the wingman, no matter how many cards he has is still an easy kill. I think the improvements being worked on with the AI rotuines may couter this as I have noticed in the campaigns that the enemy AI will now engage your wingman more frequently.

-Ray