Updated Models

Dan Verssen

Are you sure about the yellow on the wing roundels? From what I can see it looks like they used the yellow on the fuselage but not on the wings. It looks like the early wing roundels were just red and blue.

Any ideas?

I see what you mean about the spinner needing to be more blunt. I'll what I can do with the canopy.

I think the 4 colors wing roundels were used , at least in some squadrons, until BoB, and were phased out afterwards.

I remember doing a platic kit of a Polish squadron Spitfire I which had them, but it was a long time ago smile.gif .

This is also the markings retained for the more or less famous "piece of cake" TV show, from the more or less famous Derek Robinson's novel. They couldnt find enough Hurri Is or Spit Is but they did a pretty good job with the spit IXs in early war paintings.

white in between the red and blue on the wings seems to have been optional!

I think the following photos are all warbirds rather than originals, but they give the idea:

A Mk II:

s96-7350b.jpg

A Mk II without white on the wingtips:

s94-7350.jpg

As an aisde this Mk XIV in the far east - not the red centres disappear 'cos they were too similar to the Japanese "meatball"!

img_7495.jpg

Yes, you're right: the two-color roundels were already present in some squadrons at BoB time, or even before that.

But I think choosing the 4 color ones for the spit I's paint job would help differentiate from later models, since the 2 colors became much more widespread after '42 or so.