New tournament: Battle for Singapore!

Moon

I did a few tries against the computer. I would say victory will be tied on the fate of both super aces (Sakai on the Japanese side and the other guy in the Hurri II of Death for Britain). Loose one of them (or their wingman) in turn 1 and you can basically kiss the victory goodbye.

Also the (random) targets have a huge impact on difficulty: when you get a 3/7 naval convoy to attack with bettys that can do at best 6 damage, it's not the same as a 1/4 vehicle depot which could even be taken out by (lucky) kates smile.gif . Also the appearance of a small 1/2 convoy makes a lot of difference, it allows to use the kates with a good chance of success or choose to leave a couple of points to the Brits and pick the best fighters on air superiority, while a game with no weaker objectives than 1/4 will practically force the Japanese to loose or draw a bombing run (tried once to bomb 3 times in a row with the bettys, they died trying smile.gif ).

As far as playing against bots is representative, I would say the Japanese score will be more centered around 10 points, even with a massive failure, while the British may range from 5 to 20 depending on the objectives and air superiority missions (the 20 points were when I was lucky enough to kill Sakai first turn :D ).

More experiments: I got a game where the bombing objectives were all battleships: 3/5, 3/5 and 4/7, plus the usual air superiority missions over malaysia.

I would say such a setup is impossible to win for the Japanese against a human player.

With such a setup, the obvious wining strategy to put the best elements over Singapore, since even a draw on the bombing missions can give more points to the UK than a win in air superiority.

Basically the kates cannot hope for better than a draw, and against a competent player there is no way they can make it to the target with 3 bomb points left (damaging both or downing one is enough to go down to 2 bomb points for a UK win). So that is practically a guaranteed 6 points for the UK.

Now the bettys can maybe win once (yet again damaging both or downing one is enough to get a draw), but except with very favorable starting alts there is no way the Japanese fighters can prevent the 2 British elements from hacking the bombers to pieces. That will most likely end in a draw, and even so the Japanese will have a though fight.

As for the last objective, it's again a draw at best, and frankly the bettys will be in so poor shape that the most probable result is a loss (downing one is enough to get a UK win). That makes 8 more points for UK.

Even assuming the Japanese wins all air superiority missions, the likely score will be 14 to 6.

I managed to get a 6 to 6 result only because the AI stuck to my fighters instead of going for the bombers, which is the obvious thing to do for a human player. The AI won 6 points against the kates in turn one, the Hurri II element started co-alt with the bombers and after two turns had one kate down and the other smoking smile.gif .

I have no gripe against this, but I wonder if we will play enough games in the tournament to even the intrinsic randomness of this setup.

Strider, so far we only show the base registrations. People can voice their preferences in terms of which nation they want to play, but the rosters will be finalised only after registrations are closed. Until then, the pages remain empty.

Martin

OK, registrations are closed and the teams are assembled. Only a couple of people didn't get their preferred slots, and Mistura was randomly chosen as the Team Leader for the Brits.

Emails will be going out soon with some more information for the players and the first round should be considered open in the next day or two.

Martin