Drawing Cards

Ron

When playing the AI in the Demo at the higher Pilot levels, often the Bot Pilots have Draw Cards x2x3x4 etc. Now how exactly does that work? Do they get to draw that many throughout the dogfight or is that per round? Because if it's the former then something is definitely wrong. It makes playing against some of these uber-bot-pilots a little more than just a challenge! smile.gif

Ron

It should be that many cards over the course of the entire dogfight, not per round. A couple of other players have reported problems where the AI is getting more than the expected number of extra cards, so there may be a bug there that I need to look into.

I haven't seen this yet. If you get the chance, please let us know which pilots are doing this.

Also, it is possible for a pilot to draw multiple cards during his turn. For example, Leader Advice will give him a card, Aggressive/Evasive might, Quick Reflexes will, etc.

From what I have seen, you can tell when the Extra Card skill is used because it will be his turn to play a card and his cards in hand number will increase by one, just before he plays a card.

My understanding of the rule is that you can only "Draw Extra Card" once per turn when using that particular skill. I have had some AI pilots (notably the high-level British ones, Tracy Baker and Joseph Allen) have 8 cards. I play a card like 1:2 IMS. They don't have a response so they draw a card. Their hand goes to 9. The card in question obviously isn't a valid response, so their hand goes to 10.

I really, really think this game needs things like this spelled out. It should not be a mystery why cards are being drawn. If my opponent is getting a card at the beginning of the turn due to his Wingman's Leader Advice, that should be stated. If he is using "Draw Extra Card" that should be stated explicitly also, and the number of "Draw Extra Cards" should be listed.

In general, there is too much hidden information. For example, having to constantly flip back to the Dogfight Preview to check enemy skills is clumsy.

Originally posted by Bruce G.:

My understanding of the rule is that you can only "Draw Extra Card" once per turn when using that particular skill. I have had some AI pilots (notably the high-level British ones, Tracy Baker and Joseph Allen) have 8 cards. I play a card like 1:2 IMS. They don't have a response so they draw a card. Their hand goes to 9. The card in question obviously isn't a valid response, so their hand goes to 10.

I really, really think this game needs things like this spelled out. It should not be a mystery why cards are being drawn. If my opponent is getting a card at the beginning of the turn due to his Wingman's Leader Advice, that should be stated. If he is using "Draw Extra Card" that should be stated explicitly also, and the number of "Draw Extra Cards" should be listed.

In general, there is too much hidden information. For example, having to constantly flip back to the Dogfight Preview to check enemy skills is clumsy.

I actually agree with Bruce. It would be very very nice to be notified in the dialog window as skills are used or activated. Also a way to see pilot skills in game as he mentioned.

Originally posted by bartbert:

It should be that many cards over the course of the entire dogfight, not per round. A couple of other players have reported problems where the AI is getting more than the expected number of extra cards, so there may be a bug there that I need to look into.

I hate to say it but I think this is is still going on. Sample local game this morning...

Enemy had to climb twice to get to my altitude. Once there the enemy leader was able to Maneuver, Maneuver, Fire, Barrel Roll, Barrel Roll, Ace in the same round in which he climbed. Next round the enemy leader played another four cards. I do not have the stats for the 109 in front of me but that seems like a lot of cards being played by one pilot.

The wingmen seem to be almost as bad yet my wingmen spend half the battle doing nothing as they are not getting any cards. There have been too many turns where the wingmen get their turn, get to select a target, but no cards appear in the box. I have played the card game for many years and I do not recall a rule where the wingman does not get to draw cards. Maybe this is part of that wingman bug and if so maybe that is why I am getting walked on by the demo, half of my group is unable to contrbute.

I am also concerned by what seems to be a tendancy for the AI to have just what it needs in turn after turn after turn. I have been wiating for this to be released since I first ran across a link to the site but right now I just can't see spending the cash as there seems to be bugs that are really ripping the game balance apart.

Skeksis

Originally posted by Skeksis:

I would also like to have some idea what is being played by the enemy pilot instead of having an animation shown. It gets annoying after awhile to have every move countered (sometimes with an *amazing* number of cards being played) with no idea what is causing the results.

You can see every card played in the bottom center text window - the info is all there.

Originally posted by Skeksis:

The wingmen seem to be almost as bad yet my wingmen spend half the battle doing nothing as they are not getting any cards. There have been too many turns where the wingmen get their turn, get to select a target, but no cards appear in the box.

Are the Wingmen damaged or at Very High altitude?

I haven't seen any cases of Wingmen not being able to draw the cards they are entitled to, but I haven't been playing the demo.

I guess what he means is that they don't get any usefull cards. I also often had three turns in a row where my wingie didn't get any attack cards, whereas on defense he was shot to pieces by the enemy wingman with the draw x-card ability and had no chance to react cause he got no defense cards then.

Originally posted by Fred19:

I guess what he means is that they don't get any usefull cards.

Ok, well that's a different issue. I was just responding to this sentence:

"There have been too many turns where the wingmen get their turn, get to select a target, but no cards appear in the box."

If no cards are appearing in the box, and they should be, that's a bug I have not seen. Although, like I said, this is based on the full version and not the demo. The demo may have a bug.

On the useful cards thing, I think I've seen posted multiple times that the AI doesn't "cheat" in getting better cards, so I'll take Battlefront's word for it. Although sometimes it sure seems like it does!