Some newbie questions

Ludomeister

Hi all,

Even though I've purchased all the GMT DiF card games since Rise of the Luftwaffe, I just found out about this computerized version of the game 2 days ago. Promptly downloaded the game and have been playing it (and having lots of fun) since.

Quite obviously there are some differences from the manual version of the game, but for the most part everything is pretty much the same. Still, I have a few questions I hope y'all can provide a pointer to ....

1. I can't find the button to look at the accumulated damage either my planes or my opponent's planes have. Where is it?

2. One thing that's been improved from the manual game is the RPG aspect: the experience points that buy the extra skills. Many of those skills are the same as in the manual game, but some are new. That said, I can't find a listing in the online documentation that *describes* what those skills do (though you can guess at some of them, obviously). Is there documentation on that?

3. When you "buy" one of those skills, say, Ace Pilot, is it permanent, or is it something that once you use you lose?

4. When you are setting up you can choose various levels of reaction time, with the better the rating the smaller the time you get to make your decision. Is there any VP bonuses associated with choosing the Ace level, for example? Or is this just something that players can use to balance experience levels?

5. Are the "squadrons" set up so that you can play with your friends as a 2 elements vs. somebody else's squadron elements?

Thanks,

Ludo

Hello Ludomeister,

1. Just move mouse over the plane and click the plane. The damage will tell you in the pilot menu on the right upperhand side.

2. Go to manage pilot screen. Pick any pilot and hit the purchase skills button. Just click on a skill name and it will tell you.

3. The card skills are gone upon use. Ace pilot, maneuver, barrel roll etc... Skills like Evasive, Powerdive, Redline, etc... are permanent.

4. No I dont believe that it does anything for bonus to your score. Just makes you think really fast when playing a few of these guys.

5. You can play 2vs2 with ease. As far as squadron vs squadron, one of the DIF guys will have to tell you if thats in the full version.

Welcome to the game. I didnt play the card game but put your kids to bed, hand the wife the credit cards, get a drink, and learn to sleep 3 hours less a night. DIF stands for DIVORCE IS FINAL, cause thats what I would be headed to if I was married. smile.gif

Originally posted by Ludomeister:

Hi all,

Even though I've purchased all the GMT DiF card games since Rise of the Luftwaffe, I just found out about this computerized version of the game 2 days ago. Promptly downloaded the game and have been playing it (and having lots of fun) since.

Quite obviously there are some differences from the manual version of the game, but for the most part everything is pretty much the same. Still, I have a few questions I hope y'all can provide a pointer to ....

1. I can't find the button to look at the accumulated damage either my planes or my opponent's planes have. Where is it?

2. One thing that's been improved from the manual game is the RPG aspect: the experience points that buy the extra skills. Many of those skills are the same as in the manual game, but some are new. That said, I can't find a listing in the online documentation that *describes* what those skills do (though you can guess at some of them, obviously). Is there documentation on that?

3. When you "buy" one of those skills, say, Ace Pilot, is it permanent, or is it something that once you use you lose?

4. When you are setting up you can choose various levels of reaction time, with the better the rating the smaller the time you get to make your decision. Is there any VP bonuses associated with choosing the Ace level, for example? Or is this just something that players can use to balance experience levels?

5. Are the "squadrons" set up so that you can play with your friends as a 2 elements vs. somebody else's squadron elements?

Thanks,

Ludo

Thanks Manta! I guess I should have done a bit more clicking on the images than I did!

As for the card game, if you get a chance you should pick up a boxed set. I never played the campaign games much, as they were, for the most part, just 2-player games. But the dogfights are tailor-made for 2-on-2, and a full dogfight rarely lasts more than 20 minutes ... you can easily play a couple in a lunch hour at work, which is where my group played the game. Four guys can have a lot of fun shooting each other down, and we never bothered with the rules about dis-engaging ... it was always a fight to the death! :)

Ludo

The girlfriend looks at me funny as it is, me playing with cards wont help that. smile.gif Anyway now that this has been released I think there is no going back. I can honestly say only 2 games ever have made me all antsy about it showing up, CMBO and Diablo 2. I am a 35 year old acting like its christmas.

I think I may buy it if I ship back to Afghanistan though. Not many dog fights over there. smile.gif

-Ray