Break Off

Strider

Another 'curiosity' factor ;)

Why is there no way to break-off from a fighter vs fighter encounter? I'm not advocating making such a move easy, due to the possiblity of abuse(?). ...just throwing out ideas.

But something like, if you were two heights difference, at some point in turns, an option button (such as the wingman's Take The Lead ability), appearing. The option would appear at any point you were two height different, no matter what turn phase you were in.

If your two height difference put you at Very Low or Very High, then a Vertical Roll manuver would be neccesary, or it would be necessary no matter which height.

I would advocate some type of penalty for breaking-off. Maybe receive the experience points earned, but not have them to 'spend', or even deduct experience points (reduction having nothing to do with 'earned' points), or...someone else have thoughts on this?

The card game actually had a mechanism for attempting to break off. You had to meet certain conditions to attempt it, and then there was a random chance that the aircraft were lost due to engine problems, structural damage, etc.

We decided not to put it into the computer version because it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort. Even in the card game, we found that it was a rarely used option. Typically, a player would want to break off to get out of a bad situation. The problem is, players usually decide that they want to get out after a couple of turns into the game, and their planes are getting shot up. By then, it's usually too late because the aircraft are probably engaged with the enemy, and wouldn't fulfill the requirements to break off anyway.

It would be an unusual game in which an aircraft that has been badly shot up finds itself two altitude levels distant from the nearest enemy. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. Just that it would be unusual.

So, when we compared how much we thought a break off option would add to the enjoyment of the game to how much effort would be involved to code and test it, we decided to spend out time in other areas. It's always something that could be looked at again in future versions, but that's why it's not in the first release.

Got ya...thanks.

I was having a hard time trying to figure out all the varibles that would have to be considered to make such a 'move' work, so I do understand your explanation.

The way it works now, I've just been looking at it that until the end of the turns, there is no break-off oppertunity.

I have found myself with a level between my damaged plane(s), once vs a human, and at least twice vs AI. I'm sure I had cards 'showing' in my hand and farily certain we were both damaged, and my opponent didn't have much in the way of attack cards, or they would not have let me get there ;)