Number of Pilots?

Northstar

The limit applies to the full game as well. Fatigue and limits on the number of pilots per nationality work together to produce a couple of positive effects from a game standpoint.

Our testing showed that without fatigue, players tended to just fly the same pilots again and again until they were maxxed out (or dead). Fatigue gave players a reason to rotate through a set of pilots and develop a team with varied abilities.

Limits on the number of pilots per nationality means that every so often, you may find that all of your pilots are fatigued to some extent, and you will be forced to fly a fatigued pilot. This is particularly true at the higher end because the hot-shot pilots gain LOTS of fatigue every time they fly.

Thanks, bartbert, that makes sense.

The only problem I see is that in the case of the tournament, my only choice was to either fly pilots of a nationality I didn't particularly want to use, or to delete a couple of experianced pilots to make room for the tournament pilots.

I imagine that in the future there will be a number of different tournaments with different pilot rules, but in a case like this, it would be nice to have the ability to create extra pilots. Maybe just a temporary increase in the number of pilots to 8 for the duration of the tournament. Afterwards, the player would have to decide which four to keep.

It's not a big deal one way or the other, but I did find in slightly annoying at the time.

Northstar, the beta demo tournament was unique in this case. Most if not all future tournaments will e.g. specify an XP range, and perhaps nation or aircraft eligible to play, so you won't have to create any new pilots to fly.

Martin