Questions re Campaigns

Kiith

Firstly thanks to bartbert and Dan for their answers in the few thoughts thread. But I just thought I’d start a new thread for questions re the campaign side of the game as they sound really interesting, plus I didn’t want to steal Tomb’s thread.

I must say that I’m surprised that the campaigns won’t be available offline. It’s probably only because I’ve got use to the trend with most RTS/TBS games having an offline campaign with the allure of online skirmish. So could you give us an idea of how much time it would take to finish say, the Solomon Islands campaign? And it’s probably a stilly question but can you save your progress in the online campaigns or do have to play all the way though in one sitting?

Kiith,

The coding side of the campaigns was a brilliant idea from Brian (Bartbert). Basically, its code runs in parellel with the core game code, without much interaction except at the start and end of each mission.

A campaign is made up of 3 to 8 "Days", depending on the campaign. Each Day of the campaign will see 0 to 7 missions flown, again depending on the campaign.

The great aspect is, each mission is its own self-contained game. Which means, you can load up your campaign, play one mission, then sign-off.

So, you need to only commit 15 to 30 minutes at a time to a campaign that might take 4 hours to play overall.

Thanks for that answer Dan it calmed my fears a lot, as I only have a limited amount of time to commit to the PC and didn't really want to have to play for more that an hour or two at a time.

So as the missions are played/saved one at a time and one day only takes about 30mins the campaigns will be very playable for me.