Changes from the Card Game

ctaylor

I'm a fairly recent convert to the DIF series. Really enjoying it so far, it's pretty deep for a cardgame and makes a nice change of pace between other games. And you can play it with kids! :)

I noticed some changes from the cardgame. Looking at the plane database, Light Bombers are now treated like the other bombers instead of as fighters.

Is there going to be a complete list of changes at some point?

And will it support campaign games similar to the cardgame?

Thanks!

pax,

-Chris

Chris,

Welcome aboard DIF!

You're right, the Light Bombers (LBs) have changed from the card game. I had been wanting to make this change for a while in the card game, but after the first game was published it was very hard to make such a change. So, it just kind of hung around through the other card games.

The only other change that I can think of is that you must select an enemy aircraft to play maneuvers. This includes Vertical Roll (VR). So, in the card game you could VR when ever you wanted, in the computer game, you must be engaged. There are a few fuzzy spots in the card game rules concerning VRs, and this method of dealing with them closed those holes in the rules.

The first release will not include campaigns, but there are a few features in the works that will more than replace them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not certain, but Dan or one of the BFC people will be able to verify this quickly - it looks like the "turret support" and "turret defense" stat for bombers has changed as well.

Previously in 8AF, the B-17F had a turret defence rating of 2, with a turret support rating of 1. This meant you pulled 2 cards for defense, and another card for each other aircraft in the formation.

Now, it appears from the database that the defence is 3, with a support of 4 (!).

I'm guessing that means that the bomber can pull three cards on defense, and if there's a another aircraft still in the element, you pull four instead.

Obviously a mechanic from the game has changed in this aspect.

Do the heavy bombers only come in pairs of 2 now (as in Zero)? I liked the "boxes" of 4 planes from the 8AF board game.

You're right, the bomber Turret Defense and Turret Support ratings have been increased.

The main reason is that in the computer game pilots gain skills that make them more powerful. In the card game, players rarely fly with special pilots.

As a result, by the time a player goes after Heavy Bombers they are likely to have several skills that really increase the power of his aircraft.

The other reason is that Heavy Bombers fly in formations of two for coding reasons in the computer game, instead of 3s like the card game.