A Few Rules Questions for the Designer

Kozure

Hi Dan,

I think it's great that you're turning DiF into a video game. I actually recently bought Zero! at a gaming convention and played it last night with my friends.

Since you're probably more likely to visit this forum than other locations that I can think of, I wonder if you have a moment to answer a few basic questions. I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to locate a FAQ associated with the DiF series. I'm playing with what I assume to be the most recent edition of Zero! - I'm not sure if there have been multiple printings or not.

Question 1: When a element has the leader shot down and the wingman "replaces" him, does the wingman take on the same position as the leader formerly held?

We checked out the rules and couldn't see an answer one way or the other explicitly stated. A close reading of the rules would make it seem that the answer is "yes" as the "replacement" rules seem to simply transfer all qualities of the wingman to the leader card, with the attendant hand discard and redraw with one less card than performance. Thinking about the relative positions of the aircraft, however, one would think that the wingman would become "neutral" in the process of becoming the leader. We had this exact situation come up twice in our first two games. Our unofficial ruling was that the new leader is "neutral", but hopefully you can clarify.

Question 2: Say an advantaged/tailing element's wingman attacks the disadvantaged/tailed element's wingman. The target wingman draws his defensive minihand and plays responses. No problem. Now, later in that same turn, the advantaged/tailing leader attacks the same wingman. Does the disadvantaged/tailed draw a new mini-hand, or use what's leftover from the previous attack?

We interpreted the rules to mean that the wingman draws a new defensive mini-hand each time the wingman is attacked. Perhaps you can confirm.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to the home computer version!

I don't know how often Dan checks this board, but since I had to translate all the rules into code, I'm fairly familiar with the rules.

Question 1: When a element has the leader shot down and the wingman "replaces" him, does the wingman take on the same position as the leader formerly held?

-- The newly promoted wingman starts at a neutral position.

Question 2: Say an advantaged/tailing element's wingman attacks the disadvantaged/tailed element's wingman. The target wingman draws his defensive minihand and plays responses. No problem. Now, later in that same turn, the advantaged/tailing leader attacks the same wingman. Does the disadvantaged/tailed draw a new mini-hand, or use what's leftover from the previous attack?

-- A wingman draws a new mini-hand each time an attack is declared on him, so yes, he would get a new hand. Note that the advantaged/tailing leader would lose his position and be returned to neutral if he attacked the wingman.

Originally posted by bartbert:

I don't know how often Dan checks this board, but since I had to translate all the rules into code, I'm fairly familiar with the rules.

-- The newly promoted wingman starts at a neutral position.

Good. That's what we figured and is how we played.

-- A wingman draws a new mini-hand each time an attack is declared on him, so yes, he would get a new hand. Note that the advantaged/tailing leader would lose his position and be returned to neutral if he attacked the wingman.

Re: Wingmen drawing a minihand each time - great - that's how we played.

Re: leader losing position if attacking the wingman - is that new to this version of DiF? As far as I know, this isn't the way it works in Zero! or Rise of the Luftwaffe, but perhaps I missed a critical rule section somewhere. First time playing, so entirely possible.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, bartbert!

[ May 13, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Kozure ]

I don't have the Zero! rules in front of me, but at the top of Page 9 of the Rise of the Luftwaffe, it says:

"If your leader is engaged, you cannot play Attack cards against any aircraft (other than the one with which your Leader is engaged) until you break engagement (either through maneuvering or voluntarily giving up position at the beginning of your player-turn) and return to Neutral position."

Pulled out the rulebook and searched for the exact rule in Zero! It's on page 8, section 6.5.

"If your Leader is in any other position but Neutral, it is Engaged. If your leader is Engaged, you cannot play Attack cards against any aircraft other than the one with which you are Engaged, until you break engagement (either through maneuvering or voluntarily giving up position at the beginning of your player-turn) and return to Neutral positioning."

Virtually the same wording. I guess when I read the rules through a few times, I interpreted "aircraft" to be plural, meaning both parts of the element, and missed the critical word "one". redface.gif

Bad reading on my part. Fortunately, it makes that portion of engagement make more sense and less deadly for wingmen.

Thanks for clarifications, Bartbert. Good to see you looking in, Dan. I'm really looking forward to how this turns out.