Constructing forts - Corners?

A basic fort shows a single corner facing. A level 2 shows a long side and a level three shows two sides and the corner between.

But what does that mean?

I want to fortify the tile NW of Stalingrad (between the rivers). I have decided that if Stalingrad falls, the fort will probably have already been overrun, so no protection is needed on the SE side. Likewise, I'm pretty happy that anyone attacking from the marsh to the NE is going to be in trouble.

So I want to cover the SW and NW sides. I also want to cover the S, W and N corners (E corner is pretty safe as it's marsh over a river).

I could go for the maximum fort (U shaped). That'd definitely do it and it's what I've used in the past. However, if a long side in a fort includes the corners at both ends, an L shaped fort would cover all my points (with the bend pointing W). Of course, if the tile corners at the end of that L fort aren't covered, then I'm vulnerable (mainly to the N, but also to the S).

Does anyone know?

The way they explained it to me is this...

- Fort with 1 corer : defends against attacks coming from the hex across the corner (1 hex).

- Fort with 1 line : defends against attacks coming from the hex across the line AND the two hexes across both corners (3 hexes).

- Fort with 2 lines : defends against attacks coming from the two hexed across the line, the hex inbetween AND the two hexes across both side-corners (5 hexes).

- Fort with 3 lines : defends against attacks coming from the three hexed across the line, the two hexes inbetween plus the two hexes across both side-corners (7 hexes).

- Fort with 4 lines : defends against attacks coming from the four hexed across the line plus the four hexes in between (8 hexes).