In my last game my opponent totally surprised me by initiating the first attack on Sweden I've seen in a game.

It was the mid 1942 and the UK invaded with ~7 land units and all the US/UK air. He made a mistake in not cutting the capital off, so I operated in veterans who wiped the Brits off the map. Still, slightly more careful placement of his first turn invaders and I'd have been limited to transporting by sea a very small relief force without HQ support.

What's your experieance been? Has it been possible fo the Axis to hold Sweden in the face of a determined, experienced player?

Sweden is usually a nice cat and mouse game smile.gif . Both sides can invade or defend it to get Scandinavia and all depends on the situation and the right timing.

Usually Allied players screw up their first 3-4 invasions before they have learned how to do it. Either by leaving the connection to the capital intact or the port, attacking during the wrong season (Winter) or using not enough units when Axis prepared a counterattack with amphibs standing ready - so Axis can send a superior task force without much effort or preparations and wipe them out like it happened here smile.gif .

If both players are experienced, it all depends on their respective plans and preparations and which strategy they choose smile.gif .

Axis can conquer it before or with Barbarossa, or prepare a trap in case Allies DoW Sweden (so they get the swedish units on their side) or leave it to Allies without a fight since they need their units for a different operation on another place on the map...if Allies prepared a huge invasion force, not defending it can often be the best reaction: huge costs for Allies to transport/operate all those units in, a second time the costs for moving them out while no costs for Axis and no second front in France for quite some time...

Allies also can choose at which time they want to conquer Sweden...they can already do it in 1940 while Axis are busy in Spain, or do it during the last summer turns with Barbarossa or wait for US troops and attack in 1942...if it succeeds depends on the situation and what Axis are up to - if Axis anticipates the allied attack for the right time, they can always counter in one way or another if they are willing to spend the resources to do so...which is not necessarily the case cause a Sweden expedition always means other operations elsewhere have to suffer from this diversion of military ressources... smile.gif

[ May 01, 2007, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

As Allied I usually DoW on Sweden when the Axis start Barbarossa, what else is there to do with the UK at that time ?

If the Axis have units ready in Koningsberg to ship to Sweden, that's okay, that are troops he won't be using in Russia.

If he hasn't I can take Sweden and be a constant threat from the north.

Either way, it's fine by me !

I have recently began attempting to learn what to do with the Scandanavians as the UK and USA. Finland is also part of this with the USSR...

It seems that in 1940 that Sweden is an easy target unless the Axis are thinking of Conquoring it, generally because of USA readiness they leave it alone at that time. Spain & Sweden are costly. The UK generally waits til Barby, I did that with a Player and I suffered. He anticipated it and I had to evacuate Norway and Sweden! To be honest I had equal footing just less Morale because he was taking a lot of Minors...

I think that if you're going to take Sweden as the UK, it is best to do it before the Axis have a prepared Counter attack and cut off the Supply as quickly as possible, if the Axis operate it and wipe you out, it can break the game...

As terif mentioned Winter is the worst Time, and Sweden's Port is highly accessible to all German Baltic Controlled Ports.. regardless of what land Germany concedes she is gaining a vital Target so close to all of her Resources... A tip make certian to blockade the UK out of the Baltic, 1 way or the other or without Naval Domination of the Baltic there is no defense of Sweden! Nor Finland really

If you REALLY want to take Sweden early and not use it as a trivk to take Germans troops away from Barbarossa, you can operate your UK bomber to Norway and damage the Swedish port in the turn you DOW, so the Germans can't use it to get in.

I also thought about amphibying a corps to the land-sea hex in Denmark and then pump all my Allied ships into the Baltic sea to REALLY target German's north, but I am not sure that that is such a good idea, hehe.