Setting up a LAN with Win ME

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I had both my computers linked with LAN Cards using win 98 SE, it worked great and i played numerous games without problems. I also browsed the web with both PC's using one modem and i could network scan using my Norton anti-virus software.

Recently i formated my hard disk and decided to install win ME - i also thought it wise to upgrade my second PC to win ME for compatibility reasons.

The problem is now that my LAN is not working properly, my main pc can browse both hard disks on my second pc but my second pc can only look into "my documents" on my main pc.

I also tried a network virus scan from my main pc but it fails to find my other pc on the network, it did before but now the "Scan network" option is greyed out.

I wish to install CM on my second pc to enjoy network games of CM but i cannot use the 1.1 patch because its too big for a floppy disk and i cannot browse the harddisk to retrieve it over the LAN.

Win ME claims to make home networking easy, but i am not able to make it work after spending 8 hours playing around with it - i also cannot get the web browser to work via the internet sharing - but with win 98 it worked fine via a proxy. So now i am stuck.

Any suggestions ??

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

It sounds like you only have "sharing" turned on for the "my documents" folder on the first PC. On the first PC, double-click the "My Computer" icon and then right-click any resource that you want to share, i.e. a drive letter. In the right context menu you should see a "sharing" option. Select this and use share-level access and choose an access-type. Only shared resources are available thru the network connection.

For your other two issues, I would double-check the network setup. First, both computer names chould be unique while the workgroup name should be the same. These are accessible thru the Network properties on the Identification tab. Also, what brand and version of virus scanning software are you using. Some antivirus software requires either a patch or upgrade for windows ME.

Have you not got winzip installed?

Create a zip file on the floppy, drag and drop the patch file onto it, once the disk is full, it'll ask you to put another in and then it'll finish the copying.

At the other computer, open the zip file that's on the floppy and drag the file to the desktop, it'll ask for the next disk when it's ready for it.

Marc :)

Many thanks for the suggestions - i shall be at home next week (Chinese new year holidays) so i will give it another try, i will let you know if it all works out.

Thanks again guys.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Maybe there's something in my expirence that may help :

I have cable modem, which uses a nic card...so I have 2 NICs in my 'host'...I used ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) with ME on all 3 systems...first I tried to use the 3 1/2 you 'can' create from your host for my client systems...it blew my host's internet connection, without giving me any errors...just wouldn't work. I reinstalled ME on the host and got my connection restored, then read a bit more closely what the 3 1/2 creation said; which was that it was to be used on a Win98/95 client...you just need to run the ICS directly on your client(s) to get the connection, if ME is their OS.

Also, wheather any difference was made, I assigned static ip addresses for each of my LAN NICs.

This is all in addition to what brooktrout stated about sharing, computer names, and workgroup.

Play with fire (MS Windows), get burned smile.gif

Brooktrout,

you were right on the money, after enabling sharing from the C and D drives it worked. I Then had to allocate manual IP addresses to the network card and now i can run CM on the LAN....YES!!

Now all i need to do is persuade my wife to play me on the network smile.gif

BTW when i want to host on TCP/IP internet game it gives me my LAN IP address, how do i get the IP address for the Modem ? I can join another player but they cannot join me.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

>how do i get the IP address for the Modem ?

If you are on a PC rather than a Mac ...

Open the Windows 'Start' menu ...

Setect the 'Run' menu item ...

Enter 'winipcfg' ...

Click the 'OK' button.

Click the 'More Info' button.

The resulting window will tell all about your current IP networking connections.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

BTW when i want to host on TCP/IP internet game it gives me my LAN IP address, how do i get the IP address for the Modem ? I can join another player but they cannot join me.

CDIC

CDIC,

When you run winipcfg.exe like MajorH said, use the dropdown on that display and you should see a PPP (point-to-point protocol) adapter. I believe this should be assigned 0.0.0.0 when you are disconnected from the internet but should have a proper IP address assigned by your internet provider when connected. This IP address should let someone connect to your host.