HQ's & Leaders, but how about Herman Goering?

a14.colklink.jpg

Agent S., I was really rating them more on their entertainment value than their ability as strategists. ;)

Interestingly there actually was a POW camp run by the Luftwaffe that had some similarities to the one depicted. It may have been the one shown in the movie The Great Escape.

There were POW camps in the United States where German prisoners also set up transmitting radios and had contact with people on the outside. There was nothing like the various Underground organizations for them to deal with so I guess it was more a social activity than espionage. :D

As Santabear knew already, Colonel Klink, the late Werner Klemperer, was the son of the great conductor. I'm glad he isn't primarily remembered for his father, he was a pretty good actor.

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

Titan;

So do you think all the other air-generals of the other powers should be included? Or is your selection based upon how well-known they are?

You only want this guy because he is the only one you ever heard about.

Why not have Mengele command a hospital unit?

Kuniworth, I was not talking about the Air generals of other Major powers, i was talking about Goring.

If you read my post i said nothing about basing selection on how well known they are.

As for making comments on the reason i want this guy because he is the only one i know, well i think you need to re-read my original post again as your interpretation is alittle bit distorted my Friend.

JJ,

Don't know about Klink

(Werner Klemperer), but

Otto Klemperer was renowned for either his "intensity" or his VERY SLOW tempos.

Now an interesting (and controversial figure) was Wilhelm Fuertwaengler--who was either viewed as a Nazi sell-out (like Richard Strauss) or a heroic figure who worked to preserve humanity and art during a repressive regime.

"Hitler's Conductor"

(Still trying to get this posting thing down..)

[ January 19, 2006, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: santabear ]

Santabear

:D He sure did, though not as bad as Knappertsrtsbush. Klemperer's third Beethoven Cycle is interminable, like most of his late recordings. Which is odd because in the forties he had some pretty snappy recordings, including those same symphonies.

I remember reading that some Angel Record executives hinted that if he wanted to record them again, a little faster, it would be fine with them. He gave them a grim look and didn't answer. :D

JPW

As the Big Day draws near ...

"Glad I got my seat outside Fury Software when I was a kid."

"Yeah, me too, we're right near to the door."

"Here comes Old Man Cater, maybe he's got the game in his briefcase today?"

"Yeah, you never know. Maybe this is the day."

11oldmen.jpg

JP,

Incredible -- I was also an APBA nut from 63 thru around 69. smile.gif

Later I tried STRAT-O-Matic, which may have been more accurate statistically, but I always liked the APBA system.

The last I had of their games was some team sets in the DOS version.

I know Desert Dave was also into these things, and at one point he made his own card based baseball game as a kid, but I'm not sure if he liked APBA.