On more than 1 occasion the AI has attacked an infantry unit and then advanced between 2 of my units which are connected 'diagonally'. I was under the impression that this sort of movement was not allowed and that units connected just by the corners of their 'diamond' formed a continuous front.

In the current game with the AI playing the Axis this has happened at least twice. Is this a bug or a new feature of SC2?

The logic the AI uses in carrying out this manoeuvre, thus deliberately getting his unit cut-off and isolated, is another matter entirely. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm undecided as to whether or not I like this idea. It could definitely help prevent stalemates occuring.

Presumably the same logic applies when calculating the supply route between the 2 opposing units. I noticed that after the units had advanced between my units their supply value had dropped to 0.

Perhaps, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, it would be a good idea to have a toggle button, which shows supply values for each square on the map. Maybe even incorporate this supply value into the AI's logical(illogical) thinking process, so that it doesn't throw away units needlessly.