Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Graphics - Isometric vs top-down, hex vs tile

I've only recently discovered SC and have been playing a lot with a friend of mine. I was looking at the SC2 pages and found quite a few things I liked (designing own maps, multi-player), but there was one thing that my buddy and I definitely didn't like and that is the graphical changes.

I saw in old posts that this was a certain amount of controversy regarding the new graphics - i.e., that they were isometric and tile-based as opposed to top-down and hex-based.

There were requests from the community regarding having the "old" style available as an option.

Did anything ever come of that? I was looking through the SC2 pages and it didn't seem to mention it. Has there been an official statement regarding this?

Well, I'm glad to hear that there's a possibility that in the future we might see an option for the top-down view.

As an additional thought, I have to say that one of the things that I really liked about SC1 is that the look and feel of the game is like the old table-top games. I played a lot of Avalon Hill games in high school (Third Reich and Russian Front mostly) and this really brought me back to the "good old days".

The current game is great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the new features that the new one has. Great work! Can't wait!