Free French and French Submarines

Oddly enough the French followed after the Italians I was reading tonight, they had quite an extensive Submarine fleet and also torpedo boats. Much of the French Navy wasn't there for the War due to poor Work Yards the book stated bout there were around 60-70 French Subs. Isn't that on the level of Germany quite nearly, odd no French sub is in the game ALSO

The French fleet was near sunk in Algiers in fears it might convert to Axis not Allied. Would there be the possability that the Axis should be able to claim this valuable asset and the UK must do something about it historical like declare war on Vichy and Smoosh the French Fleet in Port? Or perhaps a French fleet should be off Algiers for the UK to crack with low morale, with a possability of either shifting toward the Axis or the Allies depending. Historically they'd of likely gone Allied or been seized and they were VERY significant for the Axis who were in short supply for Sea Lion. This would add to the value of Vichy which now is a very hallow target considering the cost... If that fleet went Allied it could be a HUGE dent Axis Armor and if Went Axis similarly. Making Diplos important for Vichy and Petain was quite Sympathetic to the Axis

regardless there should be 2 French Subs if my calculations are correct or at least 1, it should be researched

Guest Mike

Yeah they had a big fleet - and the Sourcof was the biggest Sub in the world at the time with 2 x 8" guns!!!

But htey didn't accomplish anything 'cos there wasn't anything for them to do.

Many of them escaped to the UK or Malta or Alexandria after the fall of France, and several also were captured by the Germans. Several Dutch submarines also escaped to the UK.

The Russians had the biggest submarine fleet in the world in 1939 - 181 at the end of that year - 52 in the Baltic, 16 in the Arctic, 72 in the Pacific and 39 in the Black Sea. They delivered another 50 or so during the war, but lost maybe as many as 150!

The Vichy fleet scuttled itself rather than fall into German hands.

In SC2 there are Vichy naval units - I've seen then at Algiers at the end of a game as the allies

[ May 10, 2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organist ]

Originally posted by Liam:

Oddly enough the French followed after the Italians I was reading tonight, they had quite an extensive Submarine fleet and also torpedo boats. Much of the French Navy wasn't there for the War due to poor Work Yards the book stated bout there were around 60-70 French Subs. Isn't that on the level of Germany quite nearly, odd no French sub is in the game ALSO

The French fleet was near sunk in Algiers in fears it might convert to Axis not Allied. Would there be the possability that the Axis should be able to claim this valuable asset and the UK must do something about it historical like declare war on Vichy and Smoosh the French Fleet in Port? Or perhaps a French fleet should be off Algiers for the UK to crack with low morale, with a possability of either shifting toward the Axis or the Allies depending. Historically they'd of likely gone Allied or been seized and they were VERY significant for the Axis who were in short supply for Sea Lion. This would add to the value of Vichy which now is a very hallow target considering the cost... If that fleet went Allied it could be a HUGE dent Axis Armor and if Went Axis similarly. Making Diplos important for Vichy and Petain was quite Sympathetic to the Axis

regardless there should be 2 French Subs if my calculations are correct or at least 1, it should be researched

According to my fleet guides the Franch had 81 (!) submarines available in 1939, plus another 6 or so that were being constructed when the war started but weren't finished in time to see action. The UK had roughly 50 subs at the start of the war and 9 or so under contruction. The USA had about 90, although almost 2/3rds were older WWI boats of limited value.

None of the Allies have submarine units at the start, I suspect because there isn't all that much for them to do except cut off Norway's convoy.

Germany might have siezed the Vichy Fleet - it was a major worry for the UK and led to the attack at Mers-El-Kebir (where the UK attacked the French Fleet in harbor, inflicting heavy losses and souring relations for years). Right now Germany gets the fleet if the Allies attack Vichy. A script that give a chance for Germany to capture the Vichy French fleet if they take Marsaille and Algiers might be intersting.