Winning Operation Overlord as Axis

Hi, long time player first time poster!!!!

Was just wondering if anyone has played the full campaign from the D-day starting point as Axis and actually won?

If so how did you do it?

I have tried pulling the majority of my forces back to Normandy, and trying to hold the Russians by defending. Also by pulling the germans back to the siegfried line, and trying an all out assault againest the russians, but failed miserably both times, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!!!

Depends on which setting you play on... I did it once, but I have to admit that I saved a few times.

Basic strategy was like:

(1) Avoid that army group center gets crushed by pulling back you troops behind the old german/russian border... try to establish fortifications. Buy rockets.

(2) play defensive on the western theatre

(3) finish of the Allied troops in Italy as quíckly as possible; then use the remainig troops to kill the allies in France during the winter 44/45.

This just works on normal unchanged settings..

Depends on what you mean by "winning". It's possible to survive, which should count as a win.

But do yourself a favour. Go to the editor and change just one thing: let the Axis start first. This makes for a completely different game.

It allows you to withdraw your armies in Russia to a defensive line from Konigsberg to the Rumanian mountains. Defend in the west (give up Brest however). Go in the offensive in Italy. Once the Russian onslaught has been blunted, counterattack.

Because of the time limit you won't get a major victory, however. If you want to go for that, use the editor to change the starting year to 1941 or something. That's not really cheating, I think.

"Overlord" is actually my favourite campaign. It allows for a challenging game while, for once, using the Axis in a defensive role.