Understand the River Combat -50% bonus

Units attacking across rivers are reduced 50%. However upon reflection I realize I am slightly vague on how mechnically to understand "attacking across a river." Does that mean the enemy unit is on a tile labeled "river" (when you look at properties of the time) and the defender is not? What's confusing is for example the tiles south of the mines in souther russia. These LOOK like a defender would want to be in the squares with rivers in them since the rivers LOOK like they will have to be crossed for you to be attacked. But when I look at the properties of the tiles I notice that defending there puts defender in a river tile but not any attacker.

So bottomline line is attacking across a river defineded by how it looks (i.e. sitting in the tile south of the mines with river in it will still give you river defense because visually loks like defender attacking from the west will cross the river) or by rather the attacker being in a "river" tile while you are not?

Put one last way are rivers defined as tile sides or as properties of tiles?

Thanks!

It is pretty simple:

If a river is BETWEEN you and your target/attacker, then attack is reduced 50%.

If you don´t see it on the map (which you will with a bit practice smile.gif ), you can also check it in the properties (via right click) of each tile - there you see on which edge is a river, et voila: depending on if it is between you and your enemy, you know if your attack is reduced or not smile.gif .