Video Driver Problem???

I have recently reformatted my hard drive and upgraded to windows 2000. I downloaded the latest drivers for my GeForce4 Gi4600. Drivers are 4.4.0.3.

When I run CMBB I get the splash screen then stops with a blank screen.

I saw the notes in the CM Issues page. I tried Alt/Tab and resizing doesnt work. I tried turning off the setting they mentioned in the video card properties. I went back and loaded an older driver. Still the same.

Can anyone help?

What's happening is that the drivers aren't providing a good 2D refresh. The screen is actually there, you just can't see it. Clicking around will probably hit something to take you to the next screen - though this isn't what you want to do.

What version of DirectX did you install ? If you left Windows 2000 with the default install of DirectX you'll have 7.1 (I believe). With the newer drivers you'll want to install DirectX 9.0a.

Did you install any other Detonator drivers before the 44.03's ? The best driver (for the cards that it supports) is the Detonator 30.82's for CM. There are no FSAA problems with these drivers and there are no refresh problems. They may not be the most perfect driver for every other game however since there have been fixes in newer releases.

By default the FSAA should have been disabled, which usually accounts for problems with the text in-game. The NVidia drivers have had problems with white text in the initial 2D screens and this has been usually resolved with an 'Alt-Tab' and remaximizing the game (which forces the video driver to do a 'refresh'). Typically Alt-Tab'ing should work for you.

Ironically one of the security patches from Microsoft compounds this problem this thread explains what one user found (which usually happens when you Alt-Tab out of a game). I believe, but I'm not certain, that Microsoft finally addressed this in one of their recent patches, so this issue might be resolved with a complete 'Windows Update' of your OS.

I appreciate the help.

I have downloaded Directx version and the drivers from the link you supplied but still the same.

Dont know if this helps but I dont get a Prefs firle created and I dont hear any sound when it goes to the blank screen. Clicking around the screen I am pretty sure wont work.

A Prefs file won't be created if you never exit properly. Type 'Alt-Q' to exit properly and see if the Prefs file is created. I assume that you do get the resolution selection screens or do you never see these either ? You should be seeing these everytime you launch since you don't have a Prefs file.

There is the possibility that CM may be trying a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor to handle. However if you leave your computer alone, eventually a resolution and refresh rate that your monitor can handle should come around automatically (CM displays each resolution/refresh rate for approximately 5 seconds or more before going on to the next combination).

However I assume that you actually get to see the initial splash screen, but subsequent screens come up black.

Did you read the thread that I pointed to ? Though this problem typically manifests itself when people Alt-Tab out of a running game and then return to a screen that is all black when they maximize it again. If you have this patch installed, then uninstalling it might help with your problem.

FSAA I believe only affects the in-game text. I don't believe that it causes the 'black screen' problem. Typically a new driver installation will default to 'Application specific...' setting that essentially means FSAA is OFF. If need be, you can go in and turn this setting to ON and set it to 4X, 4XS or higher. For some odd reason enabling FSAA seems to help some people.

Which drivers have you installed ? Were the 44.03's the only version that you installed or did you install another version at some point after your clean install of Win2K ?