AAR - A3R Mod for SC2-WaW

While Edwin P and others have been busy improving the AI for the default SC2-WaW game, I've been busy with my own A3R mod campaign and pushing the limits of the Editor. I cannot speak highly enough of this Editor and how non-programmers can in fact create their own complete game. A3R is simply an example. And I'm ready to talk about it now.

Let me first highlight the many AI improvements made for SC2-WaW which make the computer opponent more challenging than ever:

- added AI vs. AI testing

- use the F4 Key to enable DEBUGAI which will have the game play itself for testing purposes

- if FoW is selected each side the AI plays will be under FoW but all units are revealed for observation

- AI now uses a concentrated fire algorithm and will prioritize targeting of units that have been previously attacked by other units.

- added some additional AI purchase logic for when the AI has a sizeable bank account.

- added some additional AI research logic for when the AI has a sizeable bank account.

- improved AI distance check calculation speed, in some of the worst cases it is almost 3 times faster

- AI subs now spread out to attack alternate convoy lanes whenever the current lane has been maxed out in terms of potential raiding

- improved AI retreats for air units

- improved AI air combat with respect to attacking naval units and focusing more on ground units when applicable

- improved AI naval combat with Destroyers attacking subs first if possible

- improved AI placement of special units such as HQs, AF etc. as they should do a better job staying out of enemy unit range

- improved AI retreat/reinforcement logic for weakened units with the AI now making a better assessment if it is on the OFFENSIVE, DEFENSIVE and what the current tactical situation is before deciding if it should retreat or reinforce in position

- improved AI combat wrt targeting units that can be logically destroyed (primarily Air and Naval units)

- fixed an AI organizational calculation error related to Operational Movement, should be most noticeable with Air Units that would not cross territory to join in Offensive and/or Amphibious objectives

- improved unit retreats, will be noticeable in areas where air units would sometimes retreat deep into the desert, now they retreat towards at least a friendly and non-threatened city if possible

- improved default AI OFFENSIVE planning to recognize and distribute the appropriate number of units to targets, i.e. more units assigned to offensives in Major countries, less for Minor and even less for post surrendered anti-partisan duty etc.

- improved assignment of transport positions. AI will now recognize if selected port does not allow passage to #GOAL_POSITION, i.e. if AI is directed to invade the UK it will not assign units to ports in the Mediterranean if Gibraltar port is still held by the UK

The following playtest game was hands-off AI-vs-AI (yes, we can do this now!!) on default difficulty settings. Primary purpose of such a test is to verify basic Axis and Allied strategies work OK. Early naval battles between Germany and UK (which I cannot control) tend to be major distractions and MPP drains, but rest of the game usually proceeds fine. Either AI side usually performs better at higher difficulty settings against human opponent.

In addition to AI-vs-AI games, Capt Andy and I have been running some games directly against the computer opponent at Intermediate +1 settings. I think this is a decent challenge, but ultimately the AI may need +1.5 or more to be truly competitive and able to beat a good human player.

OK, away we go. The following posts will walk you through various highlights of a complete game from invasion of Poland to German surrender.

While Edwin P and others have been busy improving the AI for the default SC2-WaW game, I've been busy with my own A3R mod campaign and pushing the limits of the Editor. I cannot speak highly enough of this Editor and how non-programmers can in fact create their own complete game. A3R is simply an example. And I'm ready to talk about it now.

Let me first highlight the many AI improvements made for SC2-WaW which make the computer opponent more challenging than ever:

- added AI vs. AI testing

- use the F4 Key to enable DEBUGAI which will have the game play itself for testing purposes

- if FoW is selected each side the AI plays will be under FoW but all units are revealed for observation

- AI now uses a concentrated fire algorithm and will prioritize targeting of units that have been previously attacked by other units.

- added some additional AI purchase logic for when the AI has a sizeable bank account.

- added some additional AI research logic for when the AI has a sizeable bank account.

- improved AI distance check calculation speed, in some of the worst cases it is almost 3 times faster

- AI subs now spread out to attack alternate convoy lanes whenever the current lane has been maxed out in terms of potential raiding

- improved AI retreats for air units

- improved AI air combat with respect to attacking naval units and focusing more on ground units when applicable

- improved AI naval combat with Destroyers attacking subs first if possible

- improved AI placement of special units such as HQs, AF etc. as they should do a better job staying out of enemy unit range

- improved AI retreat/reinforcement logic for weakened units with the AI now making a better assessment if it is on the OFFENSIVE, DEFENSIVE and what the current tactical situation is before deciding if it should retreat or reinforce in position

- improved AI combat wrt targeting units that can be logically destroyed (primarily Air and Naval units)

- fixed an AI organizational calculation error related to Operational Movement, should be most noticeable with Air Units that would not cross territory to join in Offensive and/or Amphibious objectives

- improved unit retreats, will be noticeable in areas where air units would sometimes retreat deep into the desert, now they retreat towards at least a friendly and non-threatened city if possible

- improved default AI OFFENSIVE planning to recognize and distribute the appropriate number of units to targets, i.e. more units assigned to offensives in Major countries, less for Minor and even less for post surrendered anti-partisan duty etc.

- improved assignment of transport positions. AI will now recognize if selected port does not allow passage to #GOAL_POSITION, i.e. if AI is directed to invade the UK it will not assign units to ports in the Mediterranean if Gibraltar port is still held by the UK

The following playtest game was hands-off AI-vs-AI (yes, we can do this now!!) on default difficulty settings. Primary purpose of such a test is to verify basic Axis and Allied strategies work OK. Early naval battles between Germany and UK (which I cannot control) tend to be major distractions and MPP drains, but rest of the game usually proceeds fine. Either AI side usually performs better at higher difficulty settings against human opponent.

In addition to AI-vs-AI games, Capt Andy and I have been running some games directly against the computer opponent at Intermediate +1 settings. I think this is a decent challenge, but ultimately the AI may need +1.5 or more to be truly competitive and able to beat a good human player.

OK, away we go. The following posts will walk you through various highlights of a complete game from invasion of Poland to German surrender.

A3RPoland.jpg

German army groups advance to Warsaw on first turn but Poland holds. France enters war.

Germany must DOW Poland to start, resulting in a variable Polish setup each game. Usually Poland falls in two turns. Occassionally a quick one-turn conquest is possible or a prolonged campaign into October may occur due to setup and weather.

A3RPoland.jpg

German army groups advance to Warsaw on first turn but Poland holds. France enters war.

Germany must DOW Poland to start, resulting in a variable Polish setup each game. Usually Poland falls in two turns. Occassionally a quick one-turn conquest is possible or a prolonged campaign into October may occur due to setup and weather.

A3RJune1940.jpg

Germany advances into France after attacking Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. Denmark surrendered after an invasion in April 1940 and Norway had a pro-Axis coup. This particular attack into France appears sluggish. I made some adjustments to German scripts prior to this run and this may have caused a weakness. Usually Germany does better. Here Allies are still holding Belgium. Italy preps for war.

A3RJune1940.jpg

Germany advances into France after attacking Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. Denmark surrendered after an invasion in April 1940 and Norway had a pro-Axis coup. This particular attack into France appears sluggish. I made some adjustments to German scripts prior to this run and this may have caused a weakness. Usually Germany does better. Here Allies are still holding Belgium. Italy preps for war.

A3RApril1941.jpg

Apr 41. France held through 1940 and into 1941. French colonies all become vichy upon surrender. Usually one or two colonies may

become Free French, which makes each game interesting. Germany proceeded to attack Yugoslavia from southern Germany.

Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria finally join Axis upon surrender of France. Greece has pro-Axis coup, freeing Italians to attack Yugoslavia. Note that Italians in Albania have all transported there except for the initial 1-3 infantry garrison.

A3RApril1941.jpg

Apr 41. France held through 1940 and into 1941. French colonies all become vichy upon surrender. Usually one or two colonies may

become Free French, which makes each game interesting. Germany proceeded to attack Yugoslavia from southern Germany.

Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria finally join Axis upon surrender of France. Greece has pro-Axis coup, freeing Italians to attack Yugoslavia. Note that Italians in Albania have all transported there except for the initial 1-3 infantry garrison.

A3RJune1942USSR.jpg

Jun 42. Screenshot here shows a lackluster Barbarossa following Russian Winter and release of Siberians. What screenshot does NOT show is

that Axis captured Cairo in February, USA joined Allies in March and Germany DOWed Turkey in April. Surprise! This ahistorical game is getting interesting.

A3RJune1942USSR.jpg

Jun 42. Screenshot here shows a lackluster Barbarossa following Russian Winter and release of Siberians. What screenshot does NOT show is

that Axis captured Cairo in February, USA joined Allies in March and Germany DOWed Turkey in April. Surprise! This ahistorical game is getting interesting.

A3RNov1942Africa.jpg

Nov 42. USA ready to make landings in North Africa. Here both Morocco and Algeria will be invaded. Depending on whether these countries are Vichy or Free French and whether Gibraltar is controlled by Axis or not affects how the various USA invasion scripts are triggered. This was a major headache to get right, and I still can't say they are perfect.

A3RNov1942Africa.jpg

Nov 42. USA ready to make landings in North Africa. Here both Morocco and Algeria will be invaded. Depending on whether these countries are Vichy or Free French and whether Gibraltar is controlled by Axis or not affects how the various USA invasion scripts are triggered. This was a major headache to get right, and I still can't say they are perfect.

A3RSep43Italy.jpg

Sep 43. USA has taken Sicily and is preparing to invade Italy. Since Axis has taken Cairo, there was no push from the east to clear Libya so Allies are advancing from Tunisia.

Usually both USA and UK will invade Sicily and Italy from Tunis and Tripoli once those objectives are taken. If Tripoli is still held by Axis, USA may proceed to invade Sicily and Italy on its own. Note that UK has sent reinforcements to North Africa to support USA since Cairo was lost.

With the new Surrender #2 event scripting, Italy now surrenders shortly after USA lands in Italy, regardless of Rome.