Crunching time

Hi all

I've been reading a lot of postings here recommending everybody to get a top-of-the-line graphics card to increase performance.

Now I don't have any problems with the game graphics, since I don't mind slow scrolling and low resolution. I'd even like the game if all units were represented as boxes...

What does bother me is that the crunching time reaches minutes for a 40 units (total) shoot out, so I haven't even considered playing any of the larger scenarios.

Would a new graphics card decrease the crunching time? I think not...

Perhaps adding more RAM would help more, I've got 64MB now.

Upgrading the CPU would definately help, but is no option due to other reasons.

TIA

Olle

Fred's right. The AI's "thinking" and subsequent turn processing is highly dependent on the CPU speed (I believe floating point performance may make the biggest difference). More memory makes larger scenarios easier (possible ?) to play, so it should affect your current problem.

I would make sure that you don't have any other programs running in the background. You can find some previous postings on this board about "EndItAll" to kill other programs.

Some optimization of your current system may help the turn resolution. This may involve driver updates, using the best performance CMOS/BIOS settings, streamlining your computer of the programs and applets that load, etc.

Depending on your motherboard a CPU upgrade may or may not be possible. Some CPUs, like AMD's K6-2 (Super)Socket 7 series (when you can find them) are less than US$100, but your motherboard has to support them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I would make sure that you don't have any other programs running in the background. You can find some previous postings on this board about "EndItAll" to kill other programs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm using it already. These Compaq 'puters usually have a bundle of stuff running in the background frown.gif.

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up.

I thought there might be a slim chance that the program delegates some of the crunching to the graphics processor(s), but obviously it doesn't...

Now I'll have to see if I can get rid of this rental agreement and buy myself a faster computer rolleyes.gif...

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 09-05-2000).]