Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Video Card

Hi, When I start CM:BB i get a message, Must have a resolution of 800 X 600, my computer runs at 800 X 600 resolution though. I have a NVidia TNT 16mb video card in it right now. Also i had an error message, couldn't initilize 3d graphics

Do i need a new driver?

My computer

AMD Athlon 700mghz

20.00 gb hardrive

16 mb video card

320 megs of ram

Launch the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG) check your DirectX version on the bottom of the first tab. Check the three settings on the left hand side of the Display tab and see if they are enabled. Then run the Direct3D test and see if it passes.

If you don't have the latest version of DirectX, then I suggest downloading it DirectX 8.1b for Windows 2000 here.

Next download the 30.82 NVidia Detonators for Win2K, but don't run the program yet (which will install the drivers when you do).

If you have drivers that you've installed from NVidia, then I suggest uninstalling them now. If the drivers came with Windows 2000, then you can either leave them in place or 'update' the driver to a 'Standard PCI SVGA' driver.

If you don't have DirectX 8.1 on your computer, then I suggest installing it at this point. The latest NVidia drivers will require this version of DirectX. After rebooting then install the latest NVidia driver.

I'm going to assume that you have an NV5 or later (Vanta). The plain TNT (NV4) isn't supported anymore with the latest drivers. If the program refuses to install drivers, then you'll need to download the 29.20 drivers from Guru3D (Videocard drivers > NVIDIA detonator drivers > bottom of 2nd page should be the 29.20's for Windows 2000/XP).

Once your video drivers are installed and you've rebooted run the above DirectX Diagnostic tests and see if they pass. Make sure that your desktop resolution is 800x600 or more (it usually is by default with the NVidia drivers) and your color depth is 16-bit or greater. Delete the CMBB Prefs file and you should get the resolution selection screens the next time you boot.

hi, ok ive got 8.1 now, when i looked at the direct x test i noticed i dont have the 3d grahpic test, its grayed out and i cant enable it, i have the nv 4 card, im d/l just the driver for it now, do i need a new video card if this doesnt work? if i do could u give me an opinion on one that is about mid price range thanks

garrett

Depending on the drivers, you may be offered different refresh rates at each resolution. I'm not sure if the 29.20's along with an NV4 will show different refresh rates for each resolution or just a single refresh rate (which doesn't appear explicitly during the resolution selection process).

If you're still having problems, then you may have picked a too high of a refresh rate again. Typically the resolution selection process starts out at your current desktop resolution and at the highest refresh rate offered by the driver (not necessarily supported by the monitor). It then proceeds to lower refresh rates at the same resolution. Once 60Hz is reached the next lower resolution is presented, but at the highest refresh rate available to the driver at that resolution. Thus 800x600 may be attempting to run at 120Hz according to the driver, but the monitor may not support that.

In your case the monitor definition doesn't provide enough information to the video drivers to exclude refresh rates that the monitor can't support. If you have a 15" monitor, you might be lucky to find a monitor profile for it, but many of them don't have a profile if they're not a major brand name of some sort (many 15" monitors are 'clones' from Taiwan/China with almost an unrecognizable brand name).