Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

directx 8.1b and TI 4600

thomas2

I just sent you an email, but I repeat some of it here.

Which NVidia driver are you using ? The 40.41's aren't recommended because of some FSAA problems (though others have gotten them to work). However I wouldn't expect this problem to limit the resolutions you can select for CMBB.

It appears that CM isn't recognizing your video card as being 3D capable. Thus the resolutions you are being offered are only 'Software Mode', which are limited to 640x480. Unfortunately this resolution won't work with CMBB since 800x600 is required (a message should come up mentioning after you've selected the resolution).

Run C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG. This is the DirectX Diagnostic, now go to the Display tab. There should be three buttons on the left hand side that should be 'enabled'. If they aren't, then something is wrong and you can attempt to enable them (sometimes these buttons may be grayed out and you can't enable them). On the right hand side are two buttons that will test DirectDraw and Direct3D. Direct3D is the more important of these two tests for CMBB. Even if that test passes there could still be other problems that may prevent CM from working properly.

Do you have any other games that aren't running on your computer, especially 3D games ?

What resolution and color depth do you run your desktop at ? CM won't start with a higher resolution than what you currently run your desktop at (though I assume you're running at 800x600 or greater anyway). Make sure that you're also running at 16-bit color or higher (which is usually a default after installing NVidia drivers).