Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

When Do Countries Surrender?

I'm curious if there's an algorithm in operation to inject a random element surrounding when countries surrender once their capitols are captured? In my current game, I conquered Paris and chose not to mop up the remaining French armies, assuming that at the end of my turn France would surrender. To my surprise, France soldiers on for at least one more turn...!

Is there a (small) random chance that countries don't always fall on the same turn that their capitols are occupied, perhaps because friendly troops are nearby?

Thanks!

I've long proposed we alter this. Originally I proposed to make Italy surrender faster (a trigger when significant numbers of Allied units land, and give Axis play-balance compensation in other ways). We could also calculate national morale - eg the average of unit moral plus a fudge factor plus modifiers for success. The poor leadership of France and Italy would automatically lead to low national morale. As USSR gains HQ units its morale will rise in many games. This changes surrender rules.