Why are Amphip Assults Not Supported by Ships!

One thing that needs to change is if you do an amphib assault and have ships on the hex next to the coast you should still get at least 50% supply. This adds a feel of realism as actual amphips did get supply from supply ships.

what if you don't capture a port? The next turn your HQ would be at supply 0 and therefore would your units also be at 0? I know from Terrif's reply to a similiar question I had that as long as the HQ has at least a supply 1 from the captured port, it can supply the units (to 8 I think - something like that). But what if the HQ doesn't have a port - then everyone's at 0 right?

No, an out-of-supply HQ still provides supply value 5. A captured port or city with no HQ would also provide supply value 5. An HQ able to trace supply to a captured port or city would provide supply value 8. That's your initial goal for an invasion, land with an HQ and capture something. If you don't land with an HQ and/or you don't capture a city or port, then your landing force is out of supply. But even then, morale and readiness drops over time so your landing force is still viable for a couple of turns.