Can you write an event such that event Y will not occur if event X has already been triggered?

Example:

Event X (Nov 1941) - Japan agrees to US demands and withdraws from China.

Event Y (Dec 1941) - Japan attacks Pearl Harbor.

If Event X occurs (in Nov 1941) then Event Y (in Dec 1941) will not occur.

If Event X was not triggered then Event Y could occur.

Historical Note: The example event shows two possibilities: 1) the Japanese Empire agreed to US demands and withdrew from China and 2) the Japanese Empire attacked Pearl Harbor. Only one of these events can occur, they are mutually exclusive. The occurance of either event will affect USA war readiness.

Playability Note: I would set up this event to occur in 5% of games played, ie 1 in 20 games to present players with an unexpected event.

[ November 21, 2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Yes and no. There is not a direct way of doing what you are suggesting, but there are a couple of options.

1. Have an optional event with some trigger percentage which starts on some date and ends on another. Then have another event with a failsafe date and 100% trigger. I'm not sure this would work in your example. May be better to have an optional event which reduces USA activation based on Japanese concessions and delete the historical Pearl Harbor popup.

2. Some events have conditions like country X surrendered or not surrendered, activated Axis or Allied, etc. In this case, you can have one event create the conditions necessary to trigger a subsequent event. You'll be able to experiment with this.

Many thanks for the tips on how to implement this event.

I will surely experiment when SC2 ships.

Related Question: What does the #FLAG command do?

i.e. #FLAG=1, I had thought that I may be able to use this to set a check to activate an event, but obviously not.

[ November 21, 2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

#FLAG= Will this be a default event for the campaign? (values range [0, 1]; True= 1;

False= 0)

This has several uses. Obviously it allows you to toggle an event on/off, which you can do at the start of a game. For designing campaigns, it allows you to write one set of master scripts and then toggle events off which may not be applicable for later years; e.g., no need for the Vichy France script after 1940. And looking ahead to the AI, we could label certain scripts as handicapping Allies or Axis. That way a player can choose how to customize his game at startup.

Is it possable to script a random starting location for certain units?

IE: The US carriers were undamaged after Pearl Harbor because they were away on training exercises, and the Japanese were unaware of this.

But in a Pacific war campain a human playing as Japan could simply "camp" the location that the carriers appear in once the United States enters the war. Or if the campain beings in 1942, hunt down the carriers easly since he knows were they start, perhaps even ignoring the Pacific Fleet at Pearl entirly in favor of destroying the USA's carrier force.

It would be nice to have a random starting point for the US carriers when the US is AI. Or at least a certain number of start points based on some percentage, like 10% they are still at Pearl, 20% at San Fransico, etc...