Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Monitor Query

Hi everyone, I have just installed my new copy of CMBO after using the demo for some time - most enjoyably.

My problem is that my monitor screen resolution defaults to the 800x600 setting when I load CMBO. I had hoped that it would use my 1024x768 setting to give me a better picture. I can't find a way of making it do that. Can anyone help please.

My set up is:

Powermac 4400/160 with 80MB ram and plenty of disk space.

Monitor is a 17" Gateway 2000 Vivitron with adapter switch for Mac.

Display Card is a ATY 264 VT, Rev 64, set to 1024x768, thousands of colours.

Colorsync Profile is set to: "Apple 21" RGB Standard"

Thanks, Mike F

On the Mac you're not given the opportunity to select a resolution like you are with the PC/DirectX version of the game. Generally when the Prefs file is deleted CM should attempt to run at your current desktop resolution.

However in your case with a PowerMac 4400/160 and the ATI Rage (264 VT) video card, you may be running in software-rendering mode rather than hardware-rendering mode. Your PowerMac may have 1-4Mb of VRAM (if this is the built-in video) and if it is 1 or 2Mb this may not be enough for CM to run with hardware-rendering. Software-rendering mode supposedly maxes out at 800x600 on the Mac if I recall correctly (and 640x480 on the PC). There's no easy way to determine if this is the case or not. Software-rendering usually results in a "blocky/pixelated" appearance to the textures on screen (or the textures may appear 'fuzzy') since they are 'down sampled' for software-rendering.

Taking a further look at this: the ATI Mach64 264VT isn't a 3D accelerator chip; it's strictly a 2D accelerator. So increasing the on-board VRAM may still result in 'software-rendering' in CM.

In my opinion, the only solution for this machine would be to upgrade to a PCI video card with more video memory. I'm not sure what compatibility issues may exist with some of the ATI PCI cards that are available and your particular PowerMac. Some cards that you might be able to find would be the 'Rage Orion', 'Xclaim VR 128', 'Radeon Mac Edition' or a 'Radeon 7000 Mac Edition'.

[ June 02, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]