Canal fortifications

Having now seen the destruction that even early game Allied access to the Baltic can do, I accept that I have to guard the canals in/near Denmark before D-Day.

I was wondering about facings. I assume that you want them facing all sea squares to punish any naval bombardment, but do facings matter for air attacks? I'd have thought not, but you never know. (This mainly relates to the Danish canal fort, as the Kiel one faces the UK already).

Thanks guys.

I just did a quick hotseat. Something that might not be immediately apparent to people that haven't used fortifications much is that your ships can no longer pass through the canal when a fortification has been built.

Also, I was mixed up when I said "to punish any naval bombardment". Unlike fortresses, fortifications have no Naval Defence figure. As your ground unit doesn't either, there's no risk to the enemy ships (i.e. free training).

The facing might help keep the losses down though, so worth considering (especially if the extra 10 days necessary will happen anyway before your next turn start date).