Defend against Sea Lion

I've read in another thread, that some players think, the increase in war readiness for USA and USSR in case of an axis operation sea lion is an incentive for the allied player not to defend the British homeland properly.

Couldn't one change the script from a one time event to a script, that works repeatedly, as long as the UK capital is on the island and axis troops are there?

Example: Now US readiness increases 15% - 20% once. If this were 1% - 2% each turn, then the axis would benefit, if they could take the island faster then in 10 turns, and the allies would benefit, if they could hold on longer.

The numbers above are of course only for illustration. One could also make the probability of the repeated event less than 100%.

In my Advanced Third Reich mod I revised the readiness scripts to be more like the Russo-German and U.S.-Axis tension tables in the original board game. So there are various one-time increases for Axis capture of key objectives like Paris and London and other increases each turn. I also threw in a couple of extra modifiers to help the Allied AI. Folks might want to review what I did.

Sealion is a viable option in A3R, but the challenge for the Axis player is whether he can actually conquer England AND Egypt before USA and USSR are fully activated. If not, Axis player should find his hands full with an alternate history game.

In one playtest game against my Allied AI where I did a Sealion and UK moved its government to Cairo, Libya/Egypt turned into a brutal battlefield with massive recurring attacks and counter-attacks. I couldn't transport enough units fast enough to break through, considering I still had an army group garrison in England to maintain and a full blown war in Russia going on. So there are pros and cons to pursuing different strategies, as it should be. ;)

Actually Otto I think your suggestion is realistically a conclusion that may have happened.

Initially there would have been a great reaction from US government and population, then things would have settled down.

As time went on movement by the State department and Congress should have slowly ratcheted things up. News reports and propaganda would serve to escalate the rising tension as the Axis move further along on the island conquest.

So in keeping with that what if, yes a big jump at first, then a lower percent each turn with an increase as the UK resists, the longer the better for USA/USSR readiness.

This provides the incentive for the UK to resist as long as possible. If UK abandons the Isle then the big jump occurs, but later with no resistance, USA/USSR readiness slows to its usual crawl.

Historians...what do you think.....where's Jersey when we need him?

Here is another possibility:The russians see that the brits are in big trouble and the germans are preoccupied with trying to take england decide to attack through iran into the persian gulf.This would give them total control over all the mideast oil and give them a port on the med.This would put them in a much better position to "persuade"turkey to let them move their fleet into the med.Remember stalin didnot trust the brits or the amis.