Playing the Allied in an AI game, I noticed a couple of odd non-actions by the Axis AI. In order to divert some Axis troops, I invaded at Kiel. The Axis responded by attacking with two units on the Southern side of the Kiel canal. The next turn, I transported my troops out through Kiel and the Kiel canal (interesting in and of itself). The Axis never reoccupied Kiel. For the next two years of the war, Kiel remained an unoccupied Allied port, and, more important, the Norwegian convoys never came back.

I invaded Italy and took Rome. Italy surrendered. Albania became Allied, and the Axis never occupied it, allowing the Allies to transport into it a couple of turns later. Similarly, while Greece remained "Italian," the Axis never sent in a garrison, allowing Greece to be conquered by a single invading corps, invading directly into Athens.

It may be impossible to code, but it seems very strange that the Axis would not reoccupy Kiel, particularly in view of it being a convoy port, and you would think the Axis would occupy as much of old Italian territory as it could following the Italian surrender.

In this situation I think the AI would need to have some non-garrisoned troops sitting around the area in order for it to "take" Kiel. Since they didn't, I don't think they would op-move a unit over, take it and then op-move it back. I think the AI only reacts to troop presence when op-moving, unless its a script.