Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AI Setup Options

In SC1 I would often play against the AI and use the editor to give the AI advantages - research chits, units or MPPs.

It would be an improvement if some of these advantages could be randomly set from the AI setup screen, and it would be best if their was an option for randomly determining the AI settings so the HUMAN player did not know the level of the bonses granted to the AI.

Example: In many games I would give the AI a bonus number of research chits as the SC1 AI ignored this aspect of game play, never investing in research as much as the human players.

I would like to see AI bonus settings for: Beginner (0) research chits, Intermediate (1) research chits, Expert (2) research chits, and Random (0 to 3 research chits).

Example: In SC2 diplomacy will impact game play. I would like to see AI bonus settings for Beginner (0) diplomancy chits, Intemediate (1) diplomacy chits, Expert (2) diplomacy chits, and Random (0 to 3 diplomacy chits).

The random setting would make for a more unpredicatable game when playing against the AI.

PS: I would also like to see an Intel Tech Level AI setting with options for:

Level 0 - No Intel bonus

Level 1 - Intel Tech Level 1

Level 2 - Intel Tech Level 2

Level 3 - Intel Tech Level 3

Level 4 - RANDOM (0 to 3rd level Intel Tech)

PSS: And if it could be squeezed in a setting for AI bonus units. :rolleyes: This would reflect the prewar construction/mobilization of units unknown to allied/axis intelligence.

Level 0 - No Bonus Units

Level 1 - 1 Bonus Unit (Semi-Randomly selected)

Level 2 - 2 Bonus Units (Semi-Randomly selected)

Level 3 - RANDOM (0 to 2 bonus units for the AI)

For the Allies - imagine starting the war thinking that the Germans have only 3 sub units when they really have 5, an interesting strategic shift in the balance of naval forces that can change the game (if the AI knows how to best utilize its navay).

Axis Semi-Random Units: Subs, Engineer, Bombers, Rockets, HQ Units

For the Axis - imagine attacking Russia and being surprised that the Russian Army has unexpectedly fortified their positions.

USSR Semi-Random Units: HQ, Rockets, Armor, Engineer

Thus you have AI settings for:

1. Plunder

2. Experience (0-1-2-Random)

3. Tech Chits (0-1-2-Random)

4. Diplomacy (0-1-2-Random)

5. Intel Tech (0-1-2-Random)

6. Bonus Units (0-1-2-Random)

Just a suggestion. ;)

[ September 07, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Edwin, FWIW Dave and I are also anxiously awaiting what the new! and improved! AI may bring. Who knows? The new AI scripts may provide the opportunity to do things like you have been proposing. If nothing else, your suggestions continue to provide good ideas that may be implemented for release or a later patch.

We did once upon a time experiment with giving increased spotting for all AI units +1 for Intermediate and +2 for Expert. Since this gives the AI more information to consider and hopefully make better decisions, it seemed to help a little. This was motivated by forum comments that playing with FOW off during the AI turn was more challenging. If nothing else, expect to see some more options along these lines for SC2.

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

"Seemed to help a little" - Thats true, but my guess is that the AI was also weak in tech research and also needed a boost in this area (along with improvements to its operational strategy) to play a stronger game.

It will be interesting to see how HC improves the AI and what flexiblity the AI scripts offer.

In SC2 I wonder if the Allied AI will, sometimes but not always, launch a Nordic Liberation Campaign if the Axis leaves an Axis controlled Norway weakly defended? :rolleyes:

[ September 07, 2005, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]