Experience - possible changes?

A couple thoughts. Using the old formula, once a unit had 3 bars of experience, it could attack and seldome lose even one point of strength. Any changes going to happen concerning this? I'd like to see units lose 1 point a little more freqently.

Another idea someone else had was if you reinforced a unit 1 strength point at a time, it would less experience than by reinforcing multiple points at a time. This reflected a slow integration of new men into an experienced unit.

Ex. Two units, both at 7. One unit reinforces to 10, loses 20% experience(just an arbitrary number I've chosen) The other unit reinforces to 8, loses 4% experience. It does this the next turn, then the next turn, getting to 10 in 3 turns, but only losing 12% experience.

The second part of what you asked for, reinforcing one (1) point a turn losses less experience than reinforcing multiple points... it already works that way.

Agree with you on the first part. We even had a discussion about it in the past... where I believe I said the higher experienced unit didn't lose. Mr H contributed and said it did have a possiblity of losing a str point. But I agree with you, that the chance of it losing needs to be increased, otherwise, experienced Germans will just chew thru inexperienced Russians and the Russians have not chance of bleeding the Germans.

We've actually tried a couple of different things with experience. One was to reduce effects of experience in combat formulas (ie, experience/3 instead of experience/2) for both attacker and defender. The other was to change the experience point losses formula to be more exponential. By this, reinforcement experience loss was proportionally more for units with higher experience and less for unit with lower experience. So it was a bit easier to gain and maintain experience at lower levers, and more difficult for the higher levels.

Both of these experiments seemed a bit more realistic, moderated a couple of the more extreme effects of experience just a tad, and seemed to work well. Expect to see either or both of these ideas in SC2.

You just gotta love this. Ask a question, you get an answer. Make a suggestion, they listen.

I'm very impressed right now(and a bit disappointed as two of my PBEM guys didn't send me turns....argghh) smile.gif