Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Naval AI Suggestion - Updated

Suggestion #01:

AI has chance to know number; but not location, of combat enemy naval units (cruisers, battleships, subs and carriers) in North Atlantic, South Atlantic, Baltic, Blacksea, Mediterrean and Red Sea.

Novice AI - 0%

Beginner AI - 25%

Intermediate AI - 50%

Expert AI - 75%

Genius AI - 100%

AI will use this information to guide its selection of an operational strategy for its naval units.

Creation of AI naval regions would use the same routine used for defining weather regions, and can be altered as needed for other map layouts.

[ August 07, 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I don't know why - if the AI wants to know what's where, it can do what a human would do and put a bomber or other air unit(s) in for observation. Or count stuff coming in/out of chokepoints - Suez and Gibraltar. That implies a turn-to-turn memory, quite doable.

• 5 weeks later...

See my other post. If the AI gets +1 or +2 spotting, then that's an advantage. For naval stuff, I can see the AI knowing exactly where a sub convoy raiding took place so it can respond appropriately. Beyond that, I'm also curious what we can do with AI scripting for naval strategies.

From my perspective, at the operational level the AI needs its own routines for losses from Naval combat are more risky and harder to recover from.

Building on my prior post;

Italian Naval AI

1. If Italy has 3:1 advantage over allied naval forces in Med then it adopts an offensive strategy in this theature and seeks to sink the Allied Naval forces in the Med.

2. If Italty has 1:2 disadvantage vs. allied naval forces then it will adopt a defensive strategy in the Med.

Also, the AI needs to decide on an overall war strategy that may or may not emphasize Naval combat.

[ September 08, 2005, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]