A couple of wierd situations

In a couple of current games (1.05a), I've bumped into a couple of situations that I just can't figure out even with 20:20 hindsight and the manual/editor. Any ideas?

1. Reinforcing when in low supply. My Allies managed an early liberation of Denmark. The city is at efficiency 5, so my corps has supply 5. But, for some reason, it can't reinforce from 6 (I expected it to be able to reinforce to 8).

This has happened 2 turns in a row. I can upgrade it, but no reinforcement. The weather is clear (on land and sea), the port is full strength, no adjacent enemies (a French naval unit holds the Danish straits). None of which affect reinforcement AFAIK, but I mention them just in case.

2. My French fleet got itself trapped in the Baltic. No problem - I'll just kill everything I can. But then, when France falls, a CA turns Free French. So I retreated it up towards Leningrad, with the Red Fleet screening. The positions were:

[91,9] Maxim Gorky

[92,10] Kirov

[93,9] Algerie

Now, as far as I can see, those final end-of-turn positions were not close enough to trigger the Swedish "Foreign Minister protests" event. But trigger it did --> Sweden at 70% smile.gif .

; Soviet naval units within range of Stockholm port resulting in a

; 40-55% increase in Swedish activation towards Axis

{

#NAME= Soviet Naval Aggression in the Baltic (Sweden->Axis)

#POPUP= Swedish Foreign Minister Protests Local Soviet Naval Activity

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 1

#AI= 0

#COUNTRY_ID= 39

#TRIGGER= 75

#DATE= 1939/09/03

; 40-55% activation increase towards Axis

#ACTIVATION= [40,55] [1]

; Set variable conditions:

; 1st Line - USSR politically aligned with Allies (not fully active) and not surrendered

#VARIABLE_CONDITION= 4 [2] [0] [0]

; Soviets have 1 naval unit within 1 tile range of Stockholm port

#CONDITION_POSITION= 88,9 [1,2] [1,1] [2] [4]

I think "real" fleets shouldn't trigger anything.

Amphibious transports i could understand, but fleets in international waters?

If you stop them in front of a harbor entrance, well, allright, trigger go. But anything else: ir really don't think so.

1) You have cut off your unit by occupying the Denmark strait with a fleet so it can only reinforce to 5. If you remove the fleet, then it can reinforce to 8.

2) Your russian cruiser is within 2 tiles of Stockholm port (91,9) and therefore triggers the script. The description is still the old one from version 1.0 - range got changed to 2 tiles in the meantime (see CONDITION_POSITION).

P.S.: When looking on a script: never trust the description ;) - most of the scripts got changed since V1.0, but not always the description got updated during the process. So better look at the actual conditions smile.gif .

xwormwood. Real fleets might be used to scout possible landings, but in reality I suspect it's more to keep people from using the Red Fleet (or US or whoever) before they're active for scouting, interdiction etc.. Given that, the3 original range of 1 was pointless - the 2 range can catch people out smile.gif .

Terif, thanks for the condition pointer - I really should have seen that one given the data :D .

I don't understand the cut-off-from-supply point. This is in early 1940, so there's no land connection to a capital/supply centre to consider (as Germany owns everything east of the Paris line). Perhaps this is just a case of me getting supply rules mixed up, as I thought any unit with supply>=5 could reinforce to 8. i.e. I'm pretty sure that Malta can reinforce to 8, so I assumed the same would happen here.

Since Kopenhagen has a land connection and is not an isle like Malta, it can be surrounded/cut off. A surrounded unit can only reinforce to max 5 and if you cut off Kopenhagen from its land connection with your ships, this counts as cut off/surrounded.

But its no real problem: just move your ship away and it is not surrounded any more so you can reinforce it and then you can move another fleet in the strait to hold it.

No it is not - this is simply how it works in SC2.

If you want to conquer the land behind a strait protected by a fleet, you can either destroy the ships with your own navy and/or air or you use paratroopers to jump behind after your air cleared the terrain behind the strait. In any case it is only a matter of using the proper and sufficient forces smile.gif .