Barbarossa questions

Hi,

Just a couple of quick Barbarossa questions.

1) I'm in June 41 as Axis and Russian war level is at 59%. Is it possible to wait until Spring 42 before invading without Russia entering the war until then if I don't attack any neutrals?

2) Are there any negative effects on Germany or positive effects on USSR if USSR DOW's Germany rather than the opposite? (i.e. does Germany lose a Barbarossa bonus)

Thanks!

1) Russian readiness increases in average by 6% each full turn (speeding up when Russia is at 90+ %) and from June 41 there are 11 turns until 1942...so if you are not extremely lucky, Russia will join before 42 - here it will most likely go to war in September/October 41.

2) No, it doesn´t matter if Axis DoW´s Russia or Russia DoW´s Axis (a "Barbarossa bonus" does not exist ;) ). Only exception is if either Hungary, Romania or Bulgaria didn´t join because of Spain beeing below 40% - an Axis DoW increases readiness of these 3 countries, but if they already joined it makes no difference.

Nevertheless, if Axis attacks instead of waiting, they can enter Russia one turn earlier with their forces - so if you as Axis expect Russia to join the next turn, there is no reason not to DoW Russia already in the own turn.

Hey Terif,

Thanks!

So since you replied so quickly I'd like to ask you a quick opinion.

I have German airpower currently in the med trying to take Malta, and the German army builds won't be finished until Sep 41.

Would it be wiser to

A) launch the attack right away (w/o most Luftwaffe and w/o full Wermacht)

B) launch attack in Sep/Oct 41 once Wermacht and Luftwaffe are prepared

C) Wait until USSR is at very high readiness level (95+) and launch attack in bad weather over the winter

Thanks for your opinion which would be very valuable.

J

You mean wait for extra armies ?

I never buy extra armies or tanks : I end the game with the 5 armies that you start (together with the two tanks and three airplanes). That are enough troops IMHO.

You got to put your money in research, always have it at the full 750, not in extra armies.

The only things I buy are several corps (to garrison cities) but my only attacking force consist of the two HQ's and the 10 units to start with. Needless to say, they collect ALOT ALOT ALOT of experience on the way.

To answer your question : if you really, really, really want to take Malta, do it and attack Russia when the airplanes are done in Malta. But I advice against taking Malta, it will take like 5 turns and it's just a waste of time.

It all depends on the situation and your enemy - if you always do the same you are sooner or later doomed when he knows what you will be doing (or reads here in the forum what he can expect from you in your game ;) ) and uses the counterstrategy smile.gif .

If e.g. your Axis has a good economic basis, then it can be better to wait as long as possible to attack Russia. On the other side this also gives Russia more time to build up and prepare defences, so it depends on your opponent and his strategy if it is wise to wait or if it would be better to attack earlier to surprise him and overrun his defences.

An early attack may give the enemy an economic advantage, but can be much more valuable when your forces can crush forward defences during the summer or before he retreated into defence positions.

So there can never be a general advice - which option is better really depends on you and your opponent. Both options have advantages and disadvantages, the most important thing is how they fit into your strategy and the (expected) strategy of your enemy smile.gif .

P.S.: taking Malta is in deed not worth the effort.

Hey Taojah,

Wow - you never buy more Armies? How about AF?

I'd love to know how you keep them from being killed off - that happens to me all the time, thus I have to buy more units, and with SC2's delay build that means there'd better be some in the pipline or I'm in trouble!

Inquiring minds want to know!

'taking Malta is in deed not worth the effort.'

Maybe not but it is annoying - you gotta keep something to watch that corps so it can't amphib sneak to Rome or african cities. Cost wise is indeed worthless, you need to operate a lot of units to get the job done - but sometimes it is a matter of pride, right? tongue.gif