experience for AF units

I've been reading alot on this board about how important experience is for AF units against soft targets- but as axis, is it worth it to have your AF unit bomb and uprotected port over and over (like Malta) just to get experience, v.s. using them to actually hit ground units (say, in Russia)? Also - can you even get enough experience doing that to make a difference? (or can you even get any experience doing that as an AF?)

What do you guys do with your AF's to get experience?

Btw - the board has been great - I really appreciate all the good answers I've been getting. I'm much less sucky at this game thx to all the help!

Airfleets will get their experience automatically during the course of the war since they are in action most of the time. To extra train them is unnecessary and simply too costly.

Remember: even if expected losses are 0, they will take a hit every third turn in average. So make every attack count and only attack if you have a target worth attacking or you will sacrifice too many mpps unnecessarily which will result in units missing you could have bought with these ressources. Collecting experience is not the issue and doesn´t matter for the decission if you attack something or not.

P.S: when attacking ressources your unit get only halve the experience than if they attack another combat unit - so attacking ports makes no sense at all as there you loose most of the experience you get when reinforcing the lost strength points of your AF from the attacks anyway, it only costs you mpps...and you don´t even hurt the enemy this way as ports generate no income ;) .

thx a bunch for the info! Now I know why I my AF's weren't progressing despite a ton of sorties over Malta.

One more question - does the range at which you attack with your AF affect how much damage you do? i.e., if you attack a unit at the edge of your AF's range, is that attack less effective than if it had been closer? Or is it no difference?

Thanks again for the help!

Yes, mines do not shoot back at planes - and since there is no real fight they only get half the experience. But to train at mines there is in deed usually no time as AFs have better things to do - in any case: If the enemy doesn´t like these bombardments he can just place a unit on top of the mine and then it is safe from airstrikes.

AF range and damage

As Bromley said: rockets are the only unit where damage decreases with strike range, for AF´s it doesn´t matter how far away they fight.