Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AI Axis Russian Strategy Question

In SC1 the AI seemed to follow one basic strategy for the conquest of Russia.

Will we see more strategic diversity in the Axis AI's approach to Conquering Russia in SC2?

- An amphibious invasion of Northern Russia? as many human players launch.

- A strong southern push

- A stronger northern push

- An armor heavy assault

- An air fleet heavy assault

- An infantry heavy assault

- A rare Black Sea Amphibious Invasion Force

And of course, will we see a stronger defense for the inevitable Russian counter attack? All too often I have cut off large numbers of Russian units south of the Swamp by making a breakthough in the north and then sending units south past Warsaw to isolate 8 to 10 Axis units and destroy them.

And in the crystal ball I see HC's answer: ;)

And HC, can you program the AI not to withdraw 3 or so HQ units to Yugoslavia/Bulgaria where they can not assist in the defense of Germany or Italy. Here these 3 HQ units support about 3 or 4 combat units. Ideally their should be 1 HQ unit per 5 Comabt units. Not a 1 to 1 ratio. And why did I see German HQ units in Italy and Italian HQ unit in Germany during the Axis end game? Obviuosly, its the Axis leadership seeking to relax on beautiful warm Italian beaches.

Of course you know of these issues and my crystal ball tells me that they have already been addressed. ;)

[ November 04, 2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

And why did I see German HQ units in Italy and Italian HQ unit in Germany during the Axis end game?

[/QB]

Maybe for Historical Reason ?

When the Americans moved on in Italy, the Germans sended Troops and stopped the Americans at Monte Cassino. Then the Americans tried an amphibian Landing at Anzio to surround Monte Cassino and other German Troops attacked them...the Italian Army wasnt strong enough to stop them.

But Italian Troops in Germany at the End ? Hmm...no clue...the Italians gave up some time before when Italy was occupied by the Americans....

Pehaps, but the AI tends to nove German HQ units to Italy when there are no German units in Italy to Command. They would do better in Germany or France supporting the defense of Berlin.

In some respects, the AI appears to treat HQ units as normal units.

What the AI needs is a formula that will better deploy HQ units to support combat units and prevent illogical deployments of HQ units to regions where they can not support the key fronts.

Perhaps something as simple as a Maximum Ratio by Geographical Region of 1 HQ unit per 4 Combat Units (with a minimum of one) for units outside the Home country of the AI player.

ie HQ/Comabt Unit Ratio of .25:

1HQ/10 Combat= .10 - Limit 3 HQ units

1HQ/5 Combat = .20 - Limit 2 HQ unit

1HQ/4 Combat = .25 - Limit 1 HQ unit

1HQ/3 Combat = .33 - Limt 1 HQ Unit

1HQ/2 Combat = .50 - Limit 1 HQ unit

Therefore, if 3 comabt units are in Bulgaria the AI could only deploy 1 HQ unit to this area, not 2 or 3. If there are 10 Combat units in Southern Russia the AI could deploy at most 3 HQ units to this region.

[ November 05, 2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I can follow your agumentation, but hmm...

First, it never happened to me, that the AI moved Axis HQs at the Endbattle far away from Germany...maybe because they are high Priority Tagets for me...

Ans second...if Germany is really defending own Ground, NO German HQ should leave Germany...the other way would be right...all HQs outside of the Homeland should return Asap.

So no need to play with numbers what should or what should not...its the last Battle, so every man should be defending and not moving around in other Countrys....

Just my 2 cents