Mouse issue -- annoyance

cbb

For both CMBB (demo) and CMBO, I have mouse problems in the opening screen (also in the editor of CMBO). For CMBO, I have to push ESC, which then minimizes the game; when I return to the game, the mouse works fine...

For the CMBB demo, ESC does not work; I have to push ctrl-alt-del to minimize the game and when I return to it, the mouse works fine...

I realize that the readme file says I should use a "standard Windows cursor" but exactly what is that? I'm using Microsoft Intellipoint 4.1 (after having the same issue with 4.0) with the "normal" pointer. Is there something more "standard" than that?

Alt-Tab (the standard Windows task switching keystrokes) will minimize CM. ESC is temporarily disabled and to re-enable it you need to press Alt-Shift-Esc (?) and the next time you press Esc it will minimize CMBB.

Which Windows version are you running ? Under the Mouse control panel > Pointers tab you'll want None or Windows Standard/Default for a scheme. If you use any 'animated' cursors/pointers, it could cause graphical problems in CM (most commonly corruption near the pointer). In your case with the pointer disappearing completely I'm not sure what to recommend.

I don't know if the Intellipoint drivers cause a problem or not with CM. Usually they enable the scroll button in apps that don't specifically support it and allow for other customizations. It's possible that there may be some setting with Intellipoint that is causing a problem, but I wouldn't know which one.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Alt-Tab (the standard Windows task switching keystrokes) will minimize CM. ESC is temporarily disabled and to re-enable it you need to press Alt-Shift-Esc (?) and the next time you press Esc it will minimize CMBB.

Which Windows version are you running ? Under the Mouse control panel > Pointers tab you'll want None or Windows Standard/Default for a scheme. If you use any 'animated' cursors/pointers, it could cause graphical problems in CM (most commonly corruption near the pointer). In your case with the pointer disappearing completely I'm not sure what to recommend.

I don't know if the Intellipoint drivers cause a problem or not with CM. Usually they enable the scroll button in apps that don't specifically support it and allow for other customizations. It's possible that there may be some setting with Intellipoint that is causing a problem, but I wouldn't know which one.

I'm running Windows XP...

I've tried setting the scheme to "none" and I have tried disabling the scroll button. Neither fix the problem. Again, it's only an issue in the selection screen (and, occasionally, in the editor of CMBO) -- the mouse moves slow or not at all and eventually disappears. It is not a problem during gameplay -- and the problem fixes itself in the selection screens if I minimize and return. So it's only an annoyance and doesn't prevent me from playing the game.

It just sounds strange since it isn't a common problem to my knowledge. The 2D screens should be fairly innocuous graphics-wise, so it's strange that the mouse cursor disappears and reappears after minimizing the screen. It's likely that this is related to your video drivers possibly more than the particular mouse drivers that you're using (or a combination of the two).

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

It just sounds strange since it isn't a common problem to my knowledge. The 2D screens should be fairly innocuous graphics-wise, so it's strange that the mouse cursor disappears and reappears after minimizing the screen. It's likely that this is related to your video drivers possibly more than the particular mouse drivers that you're using (or a combination of the two).

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a GeForce2 nVidia card with 64 megs of video RAM. Is there a suggested setting for acceleration or other things? I notice that the mouse cursor flickers a lot during gameplay but otherwise the graphics are great and the game plays fine (once I am past the selection screen).

I wouldn't suspect any particular problems with the GeForce drivers. Which drivers are you using ? I'm not aware of anything off hand that would cause cursor problems with the drivers. NVidia doesn't provide too much in the way of tweaking DirectX settings in their control panels. Using a third party tweaker such as RivaTuner may help experiment with settings to see if something alleviates your problem.

If the issue is annoying enough you may want to uninstall the Intellipoint 4.1 software (I'm not sure how much of a difference it actually makes since the mouse should still have its scroll capabilities in most Microsoft programs) and see if it changes anything for you. It's possible that one of the options enabled for it is causing problems with CM (though again, I'm not sure what it could be).

My problem appears to be fixed (knock on wood)...

I tried decreasing the acceleration of my video card (it was on the second to highest notch) and that didn't work. Then I tried INcreasing it to the max. That seems to have worked. The mouse now seems to work fine in the selection screen...

So apparently the problem was video card related, not mouse...

Thanks for the help.