Need help as axis in Egypt

I've read in some earlier posts from Terrif that the Axis can take Egypt if they really want it. But how do you stop the Brits from pounding the Tobruk port every turn and keeping supply at 1? That plus the Malta effect means I can't get enough supply to the units next to Alexandria to actually take it out cuz they are so far from the HQ which has to sit at 1 hex next to Tobruk to get any supply.

I've killed alot of ships in naval battles, and with my AF, but the Italian navy is toast at this point, and kiling his ships with my AF units is expensive and slow. Does anyone have any recommendations for this situation? Use 2 HQ's to take Alexandria? Or do I have to just wait it out and hope that he eventually runs out of ships?

I guess you are speaking of SC2 and not WaW (cause Axis getting Egypt if they want it is only true in SC2 :D ).

Your main mistake seems to be you attack ships with airfleets - this is seldomly a good idea ;) . Airfleets are there to support ground offensives.

Key for a successful ground offensive is always to send in your air first to soften up the defender and demoralize him. Then the ground troops can be sent in to finish him off. And never try to kill enemy ships with your airfleets while you are needing them to fight against enemy ground forces !

This way your low supply doesn´t matter - the combat strength comes mainly from the HQ support anyway. Together with the 25% readiness bonus from attacking before moving you always have 75% or more readiness for your units even with zero supply, which is more than enough to wipe out any defender. But if you keep your HQ in Tobruk itself it provides supply 8, so your units even in front of Alexandria will not be without supply anyway.

Just make sure to send enough forces if UK is defending Egypt. Normally HQ + 2 armies + 2 corps + some air is enough against the original UK forces there. If UK abandons England and sends everything down to Egypt, then Axis also have to increase their forces appropriately - usually another 3-4 armies/tanks/corps + all available air

should be enough to conquer it if you don´t make the mistake to attack enemy ships with your air or to position your ground forces at the coast where the enenemy fleet can bombard them.

In this case you can also ensure your victory by Sealioning England when you get in range of Alexandria so UK has to pay with its surrender for risiking everything by putting it on one card... smile.gif .

Thx for the help guys!...I'm still a vanilla SC2 player. I got a ways to go in that game before I'm ready to tackle WAW. I'll try your advice...so far the biggest problem is that my units get up to alexandria so that I'm gonna attack the next turn. But they get hit by british air, and are just understrength enough that I can't get kill the alexandria unit. I get close, but can't get that last point. Part of the problem is I've been at IW1 until just recently (despite 5 chits invested for over a year! argh). But now I finally made it to IW2, so I'll try putting my HQ on Tobruk itself before I attack next and see if that does the trick.

Thanks!

To better secure your logistics you could take Greece and Yugoslavia, getting Athens efficiency to 80%. Station an HQ and AF in Greece at a 8/9 supply put the AF on intercept and it will intercept the UK Sbombers run on Tobruk first with the higher readiness.

You'll need LR1 though. Buy both bombers for Germany and the one for Italy and use them exclusively on naval vessels allowing the AFs for ground support only or the occasional elimination of a low strength naval unit.

To take Alexandria you only have to conquer first 2 tiles around it, then you can use up to 4 ground units to attack it + your air. Usually half of those forces should already be enough to score the kill :D .

In any case: first destroy the defending forces south + southwest of Alexandria before attacking the city directly - then nothing can really harm you any more or prevent the city from falling into your hands smile.gif .