Can't host TCP with cable modem

I seem to vaguely recall the solution to this problem being mentioned before the Great Wipe so I'm not panicked, but I'll ask for advice before tinkering.

I seem to recall that the solution has something to do with Windows XP firewalls. They have to be turned off or there is a way to get around it. As far as I know, I have no other firewall type protection active, which is why I turned on the XP firewall on in the first place.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'd like to host a game tonight.

Edit to add: I can connect to another computer hosting with a dial up connection no problem.

To turn off the Windows XP Firewall service go to Control Panel > Network Connections control panel > double-click your network adapter ("local area connection") > click Properties button > Advanced tab > 'Internet Connection Firewall' section, uncheck the check box to turn off the firewall.

The other question is whether you are receiving an unique, public-routable IP address. Most broadband cable providers are providing such IP addresses, but there's a possibility that you aren't getting such an address. If that's the case, then you'll generally be unable to host, but you should be able to hook up as a client.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

To turn off the Windows XP Firewall service go to Control Panel > Network Connections control panel > double-click your network adapter ("local area connection") > click Properties button > Advanced tab > 'Internet Connection Firewall' section, uncheck the check box to turn off the firewall.

The other question is whether you are receiving an unique, public-routable IP address. Most broadband cable providers are providing such IP addresses, but there's a possibility that you aren't getting such an address. If that's the case, then you'll generally be unable to host, but you should be able to hook up as a client.

I'll give it a try, many thanks. smile.gif