Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

help with ai vs ai fight

Stragic Command,

You can do this by using the F4 key either before selecting a campaign, i.e. when in the MAIN MENU screen, or once in game. The AI vs AI mode can also be turned off or back on again at any time by simply hitting the F4 key a second time during game play.

There are more details in the Manual that came with Weapons and Warfare.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Hubert,

I was able to set up the AI vs. AI feature (playing the 1939 Campaign scenario), but once it was running I couldn't seem to get it to stop or pause. The F4 key didn't seem to have any effect. Is AI vs. AI only intended for DYO scenarios?

Some comments about AI-vs-AI in SC2-WaW. The new and improved AI is noticeably better than in SC2 but still has some weaknesses. When setting AI against AI, these weaknesses on both sides tend to build up over the course of a game and produce strange results. You can start a game with higher difficulty setting for one side, but this further skews results. It's a neat feature but watching a machine play itself is entertaining only for so long.

This new F4 function is very useful for troubleshooting script changes and other edits. One technique is to start a game with F1, F2, F3 and F4 turned on and let it run to completion, which could be overnight or while you're away during the day. Then copy the debug save files into the save directory and look in on specific turns to see what's happening. Then you can check the datalogs to verify what's happening with AI planning, research and diplomacy. This is a very helpful feature for playtesting to verify event and AI scripts are working OK without having to play an entire game.

The other thing players can do is turn on the AI and let it play for you for a while and then turn it off when you want to take back control. This can be interesting. Since you have to start a game as either Axis or Allies, I don't think you can selectively switch sides during a game. I'm not sure; I haven't messed with that enough.

MJY, n0kn0k is correct... depending on which side you select as the non-AI side it may take at least a turn or even two before the AI stops playing against itself.

Also, don't let Pzgndr scare you off from using this feature... especially if you simply enjoy watching the AI play itself since from time to time I do as well ;)