What if Germany is unable to break through the Allied lines in time to refocus its forces against Russia - would France accept a peace treaty with Germany?

Example:

1) France withstands Axis Assault

2) Germany Offers a Peace Treaty so it can focus its forces on the Eastern Front.

3) 25% + Diplomatic Chit effect that France accepts (100% when the Axis is AI controlled), and becomes neutral, but can continue to build up its forces. The UK is left alone to face Germany.

ie The Axis (Germany) offers a peace treaty with a nation. A popup appears at the start of that nations turn it (or its parliment over its supreme leader's objections) can accept it, and if so all Axis units operate from that nation and all of that Nation Units are expelled from Axis territory. Germany might make such an offer so it can refocus its forces elsewhere. A nation might accept so it can rebuild its army.

The AI might make such and offer and the AI might force the Allied player to accept it to make for a more interesting game vs the AI.

Futhermore,

If no Axis units are in France or England then perhaps the USA does not enter the war in Europe? This would be a more realistic outcome than the situation where the USA enters the war when the Allies are winning the war in Europe.

In my view, if the Allies (UK, France, and USSR) are winning the war in Europe then the US would likely have remained neutral.

[ July 04, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

ie The Axis (Germany) offers a peace treaty with a nation. A popup appears at the start of that nations turn it (or its parliment over its supreme leader's objections) can accept it, and if so all Axis units operate from that nation and all of that Nation Units are expelled from Axis territory. Germany might make such an offer so it can refocus its forces elsewhere. A nation might accept so it can rebuild its army.

Look, if you're playing as the German player, and you're getting your ass handed to you by France, or any other nation, you don't dictate the peaceterms with that nation. That's not the way it works.

Futhermore,

If no Axis units are in France or England then perhaps the USA does not enter the war in Europe? This would be a more realistic outcome than the situation where the USA enters the war when the Allies are winning the war in Europe.

In my view, if the Allies (UK, France, and USSR) are winning the war in Europe then the US would likely have remained neutral.

Methinks you need to lookup why US joined the war again.. smile.gif

In my view Germany and Italy would not have declared war on the USA if they were losing the war in Europe. The USA entered the War in Europe because Germany and Italty; foolishly, declared war on the USA in the name of solidarity with their Axis partner.

Historically, Japan attacked USA first, USA declared War on Japan, UK Declared War on Japan then Germany and Italy declared war on USA.

Edwin, Germany wasn't winning the war. They lost battle of Britain, and forever after hadto fight a 2 front war, something Hitler himself had warned against. Declaring war on USA enabled them to sink american ships supplying Britain in an all-out manner (incidents had happened before the "formality").

At that point in time, they thought they were winning the war. France, Belgium, Greece, Norway, Yugoslavia was conquered and they had advanced far into Russia. Britain was standing alone in the West.

JerseyJohn -

posted March 07, 2005 02:02 PM

-------------------------------

I like the idea of custom defaults. I've expressed my views on both the USA and USSR declaring war on Germany too many times to elaborate on it here, but my conclusion is that neither would have done so before 1943 at the earliest.

The USSR because it wouldn't have been ready to and the USA because it would have taken that long for the public to become sufficiently anti-fascist. The public view was still very isolationist even in 1941.

Japanese sinkings of US gunboats in China and German sinkins of destroyers on convoy duty (two ships in each instance) complete with loss of American naval personnel, did nothing to stir war fever. In fact, it had the opposite effect, people questioned why the US was putting it's ships and men in peril on convoy duty and in China!

[ July 11, 2005, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]