WWI-WWII military marches all countries

Originally posted by TANK ACE:

here is a url for a great site with military marches from all countries.

http://www.oronzo.com/world_war_2_mp3.html

Anyone know the name of the WWII Germany Army (Wermacht) anthem? I can't figure out which 1 it is.

Which one are you talking about? The Wehrmacht refers to all three Armed Forces - Das Heer (the Army), Die Luftwaffe (the Air Force) and Die Kriegsmarine (the Navy).

As far as I know, the Wehrmacht never had an "anthem" other than Deutschlandlied (aka "Deutschland über Alles") followed by Horst Wessel Lied (The Horst Wessel Song).

The German armed forces did have a number of official marches as such, used on parades. "Infanterie Marsch" etc. You know, ompa ompa stuff. But the soldiers didn't actually sing these themselves while marching, as far as I know. I suppose they are so little known due to their lack of imagination and singability.

Speaking sung songs, the two most popular songs in the German army of WWII according to the folkmusic lexica were Lili Marleen and Tipperary. They'd often put German words to Tipperary as they didn't always understand the English ones.

You'll find most of what you need on the Germans here. Again, speaking sung songs rather than official marches (the entrepreneur might find the CD with German WWII marches on Kazaa, or something). Most of these are just names and texts though, you'll have to find the music as such someplace else (Kazaa).[edit; just looked in there and found that they nowadays do have mp3 samples (dubious quality]

They also had a number of branch-specific songs that remained popular within the branches concerned. Paras sung "Rot Scheint die Sonne" long after they'd stopped dropping down from the sky in any numbers. In fact this is still sung by the 2 REP, French Foreign Legion. In the same way there was a Panzerlied etc. And yes, the tyrolean Gebirgsjäger did the Yodle in their specific Es war ein Edelweiss.

The Horst Wessel (Die Fahne Hoch) was not a military march. It was a political one, namely that of the Nazi Party. Mr Wessel was a pimp who got his throat cut in some shady underground dealings, but seeing as he was also one of the very first Nazi's the brownies made a song to celebrate the glory of his fate, and in it his torpedo assailants are refurnished to "Rotarmisten".

Lili Marleen will be the number one WWII phenonema of course. The Nazi's didn't like the song (it can be interpreted as pacifist you know) and Goebbels took a personal dislike to it, and in acts of self-cencorship stations didn't broadcast it. Rommel liked it though and asked for it to be played by the Belgrade sender, which was the one broadcasting to the Afrika Korps. Not only did the DAK pick it up, but the British got hooked too. Allied authorities apparantly took no liking to it either, what with the men singing German songs. They thus made English versions of it (Lily of the lamplight) and even asked Marlene Dietrich to make one (she did, but Vera Lynns version appears to have been more popular among the British). The British also made a number of satirical anti-Nazi versions of it, many of which are quite amusing I think. Apparently the German troops also found them funny, as some are known to have been sung by them. Humour as a weapon. One can only assume that Lili Marleen might not have become so massively popular if the authorities on either side encouraged the song.

Satirical songs were also popular by the way. Rumours of draconic German discipline are usually wildly exaggerated. Soldiers would sing "Deutschland ohne Alles" without getting shot for it. It was just comic relief.

Song popularity varied with time. 1939-41 had "Gegen Engeland" as very popular, but it drops out of the Folksong Lexica list the following years. Anyway, you'll find tonnes of this at the end of the link above, and not only German stuff either.

Hope that helps some.

Dandelion

[Edit; too many typos first time out]

[...and second time out too]

[ September 01, 2003, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: Dandelion ]

Horst Wessel was not just a political march, it was the second half of the National Anthem, which is why I mentioned it. ;)

I think the main difference to note is that German songs seemed to be branch affiliated (as you point out, Dandelion, ie the panzer song, the panzergrenadier song, etc.) rather than specific to individual regiments, as in the Commonwealth.

There was no "Wehrmacht Song" which is what I think the original question was, just as there is no "Canadian Army March". For parades, mess dinners, etc., you would simply play the music appropriate to the units involved. In general, though, music is simply left to bandmasters to decide, and good "generic" music is played. I served in a military band for 9 years and it wasn't often that we played specific songs, marches or tunes, just in general provided music for parades and other events. The only exception was when our specific regiment marched past, we played the regimental quick march or slow march as required, and also played the regimental march for the Colours as they were marched on and off of parade.

[ September 01, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Yes, quite. I didn't mean to undo on the mentioning of Horst Wessel, it was indeed used as a marching tune as well. By all SA troops, including the SS and later the Waffen SS. It was played on ceremonial state occasions, on the radio, all over. And part of the Anthem, the same way that the party symbol became the national flag. Party and state was the same.

Deutschland über Alles is, btw, an Austrian national anthem originally, picked up by Prussia after being discarded by the Austrians. Bet you didn't know that :D So the Germans gaily played Deutschland über Alles and the Radetzky march, forcing the thoughts to the eager mimicry of a younger frustrated brother, copying the manners of his more cultivated and sophisticated older brother. But in the end getting it all wrong.

Quick march? Slow march? You have more than one pace? You mean like burial pace and normal pace?

Cheerio

Dandelion

And I'll bet you didn't know Deutschlandlied can be played on the bagpipes! I found it in a music book, listed as - an Austrian Hymn!

I got yelled at for playing it on Rememberance Day one year while tuning up.

Most regiments do have a Quick March and a Slow March; for ceremonial occasions they will sometimes march past in quick and in slow time; during a change of command parade we did that.

When our colonel-in-chief, HM Queen Elizabeth II presented us new colours in 1990, we "trooped" the old ones - marched them through the ranks - and we used the official Slow March of our regiment to do that. Then when she gave us the new Colour, we marched past her in quick time.

Read a note last night that made me think of you and that I want to share.

During the night between May 20th and 21st 1941 the positions of the Black Watch were infiltrated by German paras - actually they were more like misdropped there and hiding. Anyway, as darkness fell the Germans tried to find eachother, and their way out. There was a lot of whistling and hooting in the darkness.

"In return they were made to listen to Pipe Major Roy's bagpipes. To judge by German accounts, the wailing pipes seem to have been a very effective form of psychological warfare."

The battle of Crete was particularly brutal, with both sides acting in flagrant breach of international convention and law. ;)

For how long can a man play the pipes before he faints?

Regards

Dandelion