Battle sources please

I am anxious to begin designing some of my own scenarios. Would someone be so kind as to tell me some good reference sources for specific battles that occurred on the Eastern Front, especially as relates to the scale portrayed in CMBB.

Thank you.

Actually I think the important point here is that each battle has a different book whihc highlights it especially good.

Look at the notes of existing scenarios, you often find a reference for a book or a report. But rarely the same book for different scenarios.

You also will have better luck on the scenario design forum.

You could try these books :

THROUGH HELL FOR HITLER by Henry Metelmann

GRENADIERS by Kurt Meyer

IN DEADLY COMBAT: A GERMAN SOLDIERS MEMOIR OF THE EASTERN FRONT by GOTTLOB BIDERMANN

PANZER ACES I and II by FRANZ KUROWSKI

These books don't look at any one specific battle but rather concentrate on individual German soldiers and their experiences in combat. As such, they do not include tables of equipement or organization but they will provide you with a very accurate account of what the war was like for the Landser.

For 1943 Kharkov Counteroffensive M. Nipe's "Last Victory" is a diamond (Sources: Collected personell accounts, unit histories, Glantz and many others) creates an extremely detailed picture of the campaign.

All Glantz books are very good, though seldom below division and regiment level, especially 2nd Kharkovbattle "Anatomy of a military disaster" (spring 1942) and Kursk are extremely interesting.

Panzertactics has also some battles portrayed.

For Tanker History:

Wolfgang Schneider's Books are superb same goes for Jentz Panzertruppen books. There's also a book about the Sturmgeschuetze (Assault guns) which is packed with 200+ pg of unit histories (Federowo.... and something is publisher.)

Beevor's Stalingrad book is also very good.

The problem in general is there's hardly any book portraying the level of action as in CM (Battailon and below). However one can still distill a lot of useful information out of them.

Sadly i don't know any good book portraying specific russian operations in detail.

smile.gif

Greets

Daniel

[ November 07, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: TSword ]