Anyone know anything about a telescopic sight on the Flak38?

When I play CMBO, I regularly employ my smaller AAA guns in the ground role, particularly against the lighter vehicles. I like the British-Commonwealth Bofors, but I find the German 20mm to be more effective by virtue of their rate of fire.

Anyhow, I was doing some reading on the Flak38, and discovered that it was equipt with a telescopic sight for use with ground targets, but little else was specified.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on the 8x telescopic sight which the Flak38 used when being employed in the ground role?

What was its field of view? and in addition, would the earlier Flak30 have carried this sight too, or did it even have a provision to mount it?

I'm just wondering what kind of effect an 8x sight might be able to contribute to my smaller AAA guns in the ground role, and if some of the earlier variats (Flak30 for instance) might also have access to this sight.

Thanks smile.gif

Try TME 30-451 HANDBOOK ON GERMAN MILITARY FORCES. It should be in there. I believe there's also a link floating around to an online version. Seem to remember that the host was Carlisle Military Barracks or close. The Schiffer books should also be useful. I think there's a hardback specifically on German flak, too. Try www.thewarroom.com for assistance on the Schiffer books.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Kettler

it was called Erdzielgerät or Erdzielfernrohr 3x8 and replaced the Flakvisier 35 and Linealvisier 21 on the 2cm FlaK 30, the Flakvisier 38 and Schwebedornvisier on the 2cm FlaK 38, the Flakvisier 40 and Linealvisier 21 on the 2cm Gebirgsflak 38 (mountain AA gun), the Flakvisier 40, Linealvisier 21 and Schwebekreisvisier 30/38 on the 2cm Flakvierling 38 (quad-2cm AA gun), Flakvisier 33 on the 3,7cm FlaK 18, Flakvisier 37 resp. 40 and Schwebedornvisier on the 3,7cm FlaK 36 resp. 37; Uhrwerksvisier 43 and Schwebedornvisier on the 3,7cm FlaK 43 when these weapons were used in the ground role. The magtnification was *not* 8x, it was 3x with an 8° field of view (3x8).

Wow!

Thanks for the Info guys. smile.gif

I have a copy of a British wartime intelligence document which identified the sight as being 8x magnification, but that was about the extent of how detailed it got in reference to the specific sight. The same document was quite explicit about the Flakvisier 35, Flakviser 38 and the Linealvisier 21 as they pertained to both the Flak30 and Flak38/Flakvierling38 respectively. My copy of the U.S. War Department's "Handbook on German Military Forces" didn't mention this sight - or any other ground role specific sight for any anti-aircraft gun.

M Hofbauer, Where might I find mention of the Erdzielgerät or Erdzielfernrohr?

Any book, periodical or other historical abstract which contains data detailed enough so as to provide this kind of obscure information goes straight to "my must have" list. ;)

Thanks again.

[ June 25, 2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Little_Black_Devil ]