Tank AI - is this weird?

I'm playing Valley of Trouble as the Americans. I order one of my tanks to go over a hill in a wheat field and proceed towards some trees. Well, 2 turns in a row now, it has gone up, and immediately it goes into reverse and back down out of sight. In neither case has it received enemy fire, and the second time it did this it also shot smoke. There are no anti-tank crews around that I can see. Is this normal? Are the crew (Veterans) being excessively cautious? Do they know something I don't?

Thanks,

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

If they're poping smoke and backing out they have either taken fire from something that can kill them or they have spotted same. Tactically, you're better off not presenting them as a big "silhouette on a ridge" target.

Go up to a hull down position and see if they'll engage or go around the hill.

Ghost

Thanks GhostOne,

I did end up going around the hill. I know it wasn't a good idea to pop the tank over a hill, but still, I couldn't see any enemy troops around, and the trees were far enough away that I figured any anti-tank teams would be out of range even if they were hiding in the woods. I guess the AI is smarter than I am (i.e. it still realized it wasn't a good idea)! I'll have to look into the workings of that fuzzy logic again in my AI textbook from college. It seems to work remarkably well!

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

BeWary...In the world of CM, never assume you're out of range...especially against tanks or AT guns ;). The topographical scale that most battles take place at allow for a "if it can be seen, it can be killed" environment for certain weapon systems.

When in doubt, go to a hull down position before exposing your tanks completely and see what you can see for a turn or so. Of course that doesn't guarantee you won't take a killing round from a hidden gun somewhere.

I love the uncertainty CM provides in that respect.

Ghost