All or Nothing and remarks (no spoilers)

WARNING: some thought that this message contained a spoiler eek.gif (since removed), but I can`t edit the messages of other posters. You can read THIS message without risk, but read the following one at your own risk...

I just posted the fifth and last AAR of my battle as the British with the All or Nothing scenario on the Usenet war-historical forum biggrin.gif. This is a huge scenario (huge map and 75 moves :eek smile.gif. Although this is a great game and a great scenario, playing it showed areas where the game could use some improvements rolleyes.gif.

I spent much more time plotting movement in this game than I liked; in fact, I probably spent around 75% or more of the 10+ hours I played this scenario plotting movement along roads mad.gif. Since it is raining hard throughout the scenario, vehicles must stay on roads as much as possible (I lost 8 or more vehicles through boggin down or throwing a track moving on the railroad). If one goes the route of the stone bridge as suggested in the scenario description, the road is some 5 km long eek.gif, with a lot of turns, and there are a LOT of vehicles to move.

As a result, I felt a strong need for an easier way to plot movement along roads for columns of vehicles. I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be too complicated to put in a "copy" command to clone one vehicle's movements onto another, or a "follow me on the road" command to a group of vehicles, which could reduce the movement plotting time for scenarios like this by a factor of ten or more cool.gif.

As an aside, since all fighting was done from 300 m or more away and mostly by tanks, the problem of tanks shooting at crews while bigger threats are ignored did not appear in this game - but of course I was playing the British cool.gif.

While I'm at it, let me briefly repeat another comment that I made earlier today on this forum (the tips one): I found in the Fear in the Fog scenario (which I haven't finished yet and for which I may post an AAR here if the spirit moves me),that it seems too difficult to carry out a flexible defence without the front-line units being annihilated tongue.gif.

This is not to criticize the game -it's like a marriage, where it is necessary to recognize the flaws of the other party so that one can adjust to them biggrin.gif...

Henri

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 07-19-2000).]

Henri,

Just a little friendly advice:

If you are going to say "No spoilers" in your thread topic, then you need to delete the reference to specific units in your post.

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

[This message has been edited by Kingfish (edited 07-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Henri,

Just a little friendly advice:

If you are going to say "No spoilers" in your thread topic, then you need to delete the reference to xxxxx or yyyyy in your post.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice, but I don't understand why mentioning a xxxxx and a yyyyy in a scenario that has dozens of vehicles for both sides and that lasts 75 moves is a spoiler frown.gif

If I'm wrong, could someone "official" enlighten me as to what exactly are the standards for spoilers on this forum confused.gif

(added later: I have removed the references to specific units)

Spoilers (IMO) are information about specific units and scenario features (minefields, reinforcments arrive on game turn x, etc...)in a specific scenario. They would ruin the surprise factor in a blind game, hence the term "Spoiler".

The number of vehicles or turns doesn't matter. It's the fact that someone who chooses to play the British now knows the Germans have or will get xxxxx. This changes their strategy in a big way. If you disagree, then look back on some of the threads discussing how people played a certain Beta scenario right around game turn 10.

I didn't mean to get you upset (frown graemlin), just thought i'd pass on some friendly advice, thats all smile.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

[This message has been edited by Kingfish (edited 07-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kingfish (edited 07-20-2000).]