Spotting enemy AT Guns

Guest Pillar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coe:

Lets say you are the attacker and your tanks

have longer range guns that the AT weapons.

Conceivably they could stand off at a farther

distance and chew up the infantry screen

while risking less damage. I suppose this

is only easily done once the infantry screen

has been spotted.

C.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you aren't going to spot any infantry unless you send your own in. A good enemy will only reveal 1 man for every two or three of yours, so don't count on this working for you.

Furthermore, all the enemy has to do is withdraw his infantry back from their forward ambush positions as little as 50m (and ONLY the ones that have been spotted) and you've just wasted your own infantry and gained nothing.

You inevitably will have to commit armor and artillery if you want to break through his infantry screen. That is out of the question.

The question is, how can we maximize our recon infantry's ability to spot the guns while they fight forward of the main body?

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 12-20-2000).]

i dont get it, what is a screen?

how do i make a screen in a town map?

where do i fall back to?

and where should i put my AT guns? i find these things i hard to use, i had an AT gun get eliminated in turn one, because he saw 3 tanks(priest, hellcat, sherman) he immobilized the hellcat, and missed 4 times before being KO'ed.

what am i doing wrong?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>and where should i put my AT guns?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

one basic (but good and working) solution to this is put your AT gun so that it has NARROW LOS covering SUSPECTED path of enemy advance. Avoid temptation to place your AT Gun on the hill overwatching everthing on map or your gun won't make it til turn 2.

Keep it as surprise element.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

I don't think that AT guns necessarily have less range than tank guns.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh so true, especially for the earlier part of the war.

The typical development was to design a good ATG and put it on a towed mounting. Then some time later it was also available on a lightly armoured SP chassis as a TD. Then yet more time later, a tank has been developed that is large enough to handle the gun.

I think it's possible to follow this development for the 17pdr in the game. The first month(s?) it's only available towed, then comes the Archer, Achilles and finally the Challenger.

But then we can throw the whole idea out the window, since all tank guns in CM can hurl HE fairly accurate across the map, while the tanks need to get a bit closer before ATGs can score kills with some certainty...

Cheers

Olle