Puppchen's (overgrown paperweight or what?)

I bought 2 of these in the last battle I played.

My opponet showed up with very little armor so I ended up firing these guys at mortars, MG's, etc.

Did not seem to do much for my side at all, just what the heck are they and should I ever bother with them again?

IIRC the penetration is the same as a shreck. Tank man has it right, they are basically shrecks on wheels. This gives them a more stable mount, increasing both range and accuracy. They are quite effective within 300m, so you can use them as a close range antitank defense. I wouldn't recommend relying on them as an entire antitank defense due to their short range, but they are very useful for giving an isolated platoon some antitank firepower.

You probably shouldn't use more than 2 of them in a QB, since they were somewhat rare by 1944, and their gaminess has been debated.

Just how rare were they? I have had a facination for these and the recoiless guns ever since I read a book on them some years ago. Will I get lambasted for my gameyness if pick these sorts of weapons.

Were the recoiless guns rare as well?

They are what the Germans built before they caputured Bazookas in North Africa. The Bazooka taught them that all that gun cruft was unneccesary and built the Schreck after the Bazooka.

Watch the units stats for range and penetration, they are a little better than the Schreck. The Schreck is the better overall weapon for its mobility and price, both in real life and in CMBO. However, the Pueppchen has its use because it is more robust and has a better hit chance - so as a horizontal minefield right in the frontline it can make sense. If the enemy is coming in with Churchills, but has a proper infantry screen the Pueppchen has a better chance to get the tank while smallarms fire is arriving.

I wouldn't buy them on the attack...

Originally posted by Caesar:

Were the recoiless guns rare as well?

My understanding is that the recoilless guns were pretty rare, as they weren't developed until later in the war, when Germany was suffering from all kinds of shortages. Since a recoilless rifle uses more propellant (2-3 times as much?) per round, it was a less efficient choice.

It's also my understanding that the backblast on these weapons was something to behold, much worse than a panzerschreck, leading to faster spotting and counterbattery fire by the enemy.

Originally posted by Tank Man:

As Axis I wouldn't buy any field guns on attack. Thats just a stupid waste of points.

I have had some success with 150 inf guns, believe it or not. Very useful for blasting dug-in inf. Don't get them when playing against tommies though; those 2 inch mortars will murder you since you don't have a foxhole.

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tank Man:

As Axis I wouldn't buy any field guns on attack. Thats just a stupid waste of points.

I have had some success with 150 inf guns, believe it or not. Very useful for blasting dug-in inf. Don't get them when playing against tommies though; those 2 inch mortars will murder you since you don't have a foxhole.</font>